Dumping it all and starting over?

BadassBob

Digitally rendered
Ive had a great debate raging in my head for the better part of a month, about dumping all of my gear and having one good modern system. For starters, Im a SET guy, so this may be a difficult transition for me. I like the single-ended tube sound, but there arent many off-the-shelf speakers that work well with it, in my price range at least. This usually leaves me with vintage speakers or DIY efforts. As much as I like to tinker with stuff, Id also like to have a plain old turnkey system that doesnt require the care and feeding of a DIY/vintage system. Im trying to keep this new system ~$1200 +/-$300 or so. So far, the gear that interests me the most would be a pair of Wharfedale 10.2s or Monitor Audio BX-2s, speaker stands, and either a Jolida JD1701 hybrid integrated or a NAD C326BEE. If I could save a little bit of coin and get similar performance, Id also consider the C316BEE. Im looking to spend ~$500 each on an integrated plus speakers, and the rest on associated cables. Im really not sure what to expect with such a transition, but any advice would be appreciated. I really like my large EVs and tubes, but Im starting to feel its time to move on to other (greener?) pastures.

Leave a crumb trail to find that path again. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if you found 'modern' in that budget that you could be very happy with but I would be careful that that pasture is actually 'greener'. I'm a big fan of 'modern' and wouldn't be without it in some areas but, I just like SETs and like you said, it's near impossible to do that new/modern and affordable.

So here goes my 2 cents..FWIW.

The two previous posters know of what they speak and so do you. SET with high efficiency speakers do some things that no other systems can do. Obviously they have shortcomings as well. One of the things they do well is opening up the musical landscape in a way that gets you close to the dialogue between the musicians. There is also an ease with which these systems achieve that magic. That's an act that few modern solid state setups can do without spending a fortune.

That said, I get where you are coming from. Let me make a couple of suggestions within or close to your budget. One is that I would forego the Diamond 10.2 and MA's. First the bigger woofer in 10.2's give you more bass than the 10.1 but it's at the expense of the very thing you probably value with your SET setups. Inner detail where the music lives and that's in the midrange. There is a reason that reviewers usually choose to review the 10.1 and so on.

A budget speaker that is detailed without having the typical boom and tizz signature of so many modern speakers is the Quad 11L Classic. This is a speaker that is better than the Diamonds and for just a hair more money. I find the review below to be quite insightful relative to the strengths of this speaker...especially as it speaks to how they are detailed in a way that sneaks up on you.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/05/quad-11l-classic-standmount-loudspeakers/

Do keep in mind that the finish in the review is not available in America. These can be had from STO for $449 in a less than perfect Rose finish (see my Quad 11L Classic thread). The build quality on them is excellent and the internal bracing amazing. LAst weekend my dealer dropped by with a phon pre amp for me to audition and while he was here my Quads were playing with my Marantz AVR in Pure Direct mode and they were quite surprised at how good it sounded and actually have recommended them since then (in an under 1k price range). These guys are tough to impress as they are tube and analog fellas and usually run great sounding (and expensive) rigs.

For an amp I would recommend more than what you are looking at. My wife runs a pair of Quad 11L classics with an NAD C326BEE and it sounds excellent but there is a synergy with this Marantz amp that is quite impressive. I would look at the Marantz PM8004 or NAD C356BEE just to give you a bit more juice. This will help to get that ease that I'm sure you love with the SET's and meantime you will get that sneaky detail from the Quad's. Well that's all of my 2 cents for now.

I really appreciate the input Art, I always enjoy your responses in these sorts of threads, considering your experience with this portion of audio. Ill have to take a peek at the Quads, and maybe see if anybody local has some I can check out :yes:

Is this the same Quad that made the ESLs way back?

Quad along with Wharfdale, Mission, Castle, Audiolab and others were bought by the Chinese company IAG. Please see the British Audio thread for a look at the IAG factory where they build these speakers from the ground up. IAG uses British and other European design talent and build world class speakers at very reasonable prices, and yes they still make the Quad electrostatic panels.

I wouldn't Dump what you've got, just in case the New sound isn't to your liking. I think you can put together a pleasing system for your budget. Your suggestions seem reasonable to me.

As far as what to expect when getting away from an SET sound, I think I have a clue. My Dynalab Hybred FM Tuner uses a pair of 6922 Tubes in it's audio section. I had never heard Tubes Before untill this. There is a quality to all the music that neither my TT or CD Player/DAC can match. I'm not talking about Soundstage/Imaging, Detail, ect, that is a given, There's a presence to the music I Can't explain that makes everything sound so real.

I also listen to CD's through the DAC Module in my Solid State Bryston Amp, which is a Big Improvement over the Stock DAC in my Denon SACD/DVD universal Player. Once I got used to the two different sounds, it too can sound very satisfying. It still has the Imaging/Soundstage and Transparency of the Hybred Tuner. I find I don't really miss that added presence as much as one would expect.

Anyway's I have a suggestions in your price range for another Integrated Amp, and these PSB Speakers I think would make a fine choice too: I also like your choice of speakers and the NAD Amp.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-50324-marantz-pm6004-integrated-amp.aspx

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB6

Last edited:
The Marantz integrated amps crossed my mind as well. Maybe I will just keep my SET system and do the monitor/integrated system for another room. Ill be moving soon, and something like that would work nice in a smaller dedicated listening room.

If you can dabble in modern and keep the SET stuff around for a while perfect - you have a fall-back if you don't find what you like. That's what I have done for about 10yrs now whenever trying different approaches but for me, I always end up back at that 2A3 or 300B and those big old Altecs. :)

Ive had a great debate raging in my head for the better part of a month, about dumping all of my gear and having one good modern system. For starters, Im a SET guy, so this may be a difficult transition for me. I like the single-ended tube sound, but there arent many off-the-shelf speakers that work well with it, in my price range at least. This usually leaves me with vintage speakers or DIY efforts. As much as I like to tinker with stuff, Id also like to have a plain old turnkey system that doesnt require the care and feeding of a DIY/vintage system. Im trying to keep this new system ~$1200 +/-$300 or so. So far, the gear that interests me the most would be a pair of Wharfedale 10.2s or Monitor Audio BX-2s, speaker stands, and either a Jolida JD1701 hybrid integrated or a NAD C326BEE. If I could save a little bit of coin and get similar performance, Id also consider the C316BEE. Im looking to spend ~$500 each on an integrated plus speakers, and the rest on associated cables. Im really not sure what to expect with such a transition, but any advice would be appreciated. I really like my large EVs and tubes, but Im starting to feel its time to move on to other (greener?) pastures.

crazy :thumbsdn:

I really do love my system as it is, it would be very hard parting ways with it. While I havent sampled as many speakers as most here, this is what I keep coming back to. Before I went SET, I tried all sorts of combinations of amps and speakers. Each one of those did something good, but nothing really special. My system has largely been the same for the better part of 3 years now. I believe I may have found my Mecca in SET, so maybe Ill revisit this sometime in the near future. Even then, ideas, tips, and experiences are still strongly encouraged!

If you can dabble in modern and keep the SET stuff around for a while perfect - you have a fall-back if you don't find what you like. That's what I have done for about 10yrs now whenever trying different approaches but for me, I always end up back at that 2A3 or 300B and those big old Altecs. :)

Wisdom.

I really do love my system as it is, it would be very hard parting ways with it. While I havent sampled as many speakers as most here, this is what I keep coming back to. Before I went SET, I tried all sorts of combinations of amps and speakers. Each one of those did something good, but nothing really special. My system has largely been the same for the better part of 3 years now. I believe I may have found my Mecca in SET, so maybe Ill revisit this sometime in the near future. Even then, ideas, tips, and experiences are still strongly encouraged!

:thmbsp:

Whatever you go for, can you PM me the location of the dumpster that'll be the recipient of your current gear? Thanks. ;)

az

I would keep the nice SET system you have now and follow ArtK's suggestion with the SS system he endorsed. Now you can have both.

Your ideas for a "new" system are really very nice. I have both new and vintage gear quite a bit of it. I would never get rid of my vintage setup it's part of my life. Your choices for a change are very good ones. I say give them a try you will have a lot of fun!

Ron

Very insightful comments. They certainly parallel my experience - hold on to the SET while you experiment. It is hard to beat them.

Back
Top Bottom