Dream system of my youth - NO!, the whole damn store (kinda) in the basement!

Very impressive rack/system! :thmbsp:

I have three big switcher boxes, and used to have some of my favorite gear connected to one of them, and a couple pieces connected to another. Since moving recently, though, the bulk of my gear is now in paid storage which has no electrical supply to the storage space, so they're being stored vertically (like books on library shelves) without being hooked up. :sigh: Even the switchers are sitting there, vertically on a shelf, for about two years, until I plan to move back to larger premises. I almost got rid of them, but the thought that I'll probably have space again before TOO long, and how hard they can be to find when you want one, made me keep them, at least for now. They're really useful for keeping gear in regular "rotation" without having to lug heavy boxes around, and for preliminary testing of gear match-ups for potential synergies. I wouldn't use one in the "main" system, though. Every additional contact (switch, plug, etc...) is a possible source of diminished sound, so switchers are best for secondary systems and collections (like yours), not the "ultimate" one.

I find it odd that they're expensive on eBay; local prices here are very cheap now, IF (/when) you can find one. Demand used to come from dealers, but now they're all using digital connectors (HDMI, etc...), so the old-style analog-connection switchers are unwanted. There was some supply when the dealers were converting, but by now no one is selling (new) analog stuff in enough quantities to justify one.

Very cool Jim ! Some of us can only remember the fun of A/B-ing new gear in the stereo stores back in the day - you can still do it !

jblnut

This is just the basement system - I've got the SX-1980, SX-1250, G22000 and G9000DB upstairs :banana: plus some Harmon Kardon, NAD, Sony, Carver and Technics scattered about the house.

The rack is Metro brand wire shelving. I think Home Depot sells something similar.

Can't bring it to Franks for our next (February?) GTG - I didn't get the racks with wheels and I imagine the whole shebang weighs 700-850 pounds.

No separates - I've considered them (and had them in the past) but I just like the looks of the big receivers and aren't ready to go back down that road (although it would be a good one).

:drool: It's like walking into Pacific Stereo.That's awesome Jim!!!!!!!!

That's incredible!
BTW... I'm wondering you're married because that rack would get most guys a divorce.
Married for 26 (consecutive) years - but the big rack stays out of sight in the basement.
But then again we have 2 systems in the bedroom (G9000DB & SX-1250) complete with TTs, dbx 3bx, CDP for each.
On one hand I'm lucky, on the other hand I usually buy right and do fine when I move something along so she's cool with the financial aspects.

Jim, you just brought that room to a whole other level. Sweet mother of God!

You need more speakers :p

Also, your wife - cool gal indeed.

Last edited:
I like the way value goes up with altitude on the rack and what's up stairs... and the SCCA sticker on the tool box.

With all the recapping that you are doing where do you buy your supplies??
I purchase the majority of my caps from www.mouser.com. I keep an inventory of the common values (and some less common) so I can recap at will.
And you're an SCCA racer?
I used to race in SCCA road racing and Pro (stage) Rally events.
Now I drive the pace car for the SCCA New England Region events and am a Stage captain for rallys in the northeast.
I also raced a laydown enduro gokart for 7 years - think a 100mph luge with an engine out back.
Never a dull moment!
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=292378&referrerid=41196

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=378616&referrerid=41196

aaVWRACE2.JPG

Jbkart.jpg

Jim I know this thread is really old but I just bought the same Switchcraft model 640b for $50! However I can't seem to figure out how everything should be connected. Do you have any instructions for it? I would like to hook up at least 4 receivers, 8 sets of speakers and 5 different sources. Any help would be great.

I'm away from home this week (South Korea!) but if I remember correctly it's easy.
Buy some mono 1/4" phono plugs for the amp (receiver) outputs and the same for the speakers.
I think the speakers plug into the bottom holes and the receivers in the row just above.
Same with RCA level sources and then RCA's into the receiver AUX inputs.

Jim when you connect the receive outputs what are you running them from the speaker connections on your receiver?

Yes, the speaker outputs on your receiver go to the amplifier connections on the switcher.

Back
Top Bottom