RS IIIa project is underway...

Nice work BK! I know what a PITA it is to fix up a pair of these great speakers, but it sure is worth the effort when you're done. Your III's look great and its obvious you took the time to do it right. Enjoy!

Larry D.

thanks guys...I'm really happy with them...bass was a little boomy but has gone away as the new surrounds loosen up...

foam really made a difference, i was surprised...Difficult to put on, especially when you do it like I just did while they are standing...you have to be ready..really sticky stuff, once its down, its down...
no room for an oops..

thanks guys...I'm really happy with them...bass was a little boomy but has gone away as the new surrounds loosen up...

foam really made a difference, i was surprised...Difficult to put on, especially when you do it like I just did while they are standing...you have to be ready..really sticky stuff, once its down, its down...
no room for an oops..

I'm about ready to put foam on my IIIBs. Any tips or tricks you can pass onto me about laying it out. I mean you are a pro now :D:thmbsp:

ha...don't worry about cutting out the driver holes until its on...i put a piece of tape at the top of foam, drew a dot at the center...did the same at the bottom...tape on the speaker again dot drawn in the middle same on the top woofer ring...peel off the back 1/2 way, set the top make sure bottom dots line up, pull off the rest of the backing and sort of guide it into place...the stuff i used was stiff so once it was lined up it was simple...

then cut out the holes for the drivers...

put the driver in place where it should go, use a finish nail to search for holes...once you find 2 the others are easy...

badabing....

ha...don't worry about cutting out the driver holes until its on...i put a piece of tape at the top of foam, drew a dot at the center...did the same at the bottom...tape on the speaker again dot drawn in the middle same on the top woofer ring...peel off the back 1/2 way, set the top make sure bottom dots line up, pull off the rest of the backing and sort of guide it into place...the stuff i used was stiff so once it was lined up it was simple...

then cut out the holes for the drivers...

put the driver in place where it should go, use a finish nail to search for holes...once you find 2 the others are easy...

badabing....

Nice job! Great to see someone take the time and put the care into restoring vintage Infinities! Enjoy them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I'm testing the K Vs. the Cobalt...

I had to make something to attach it because the K is a little smaller...the screw holes will be hidden so ignore....

looks odd, but I will mod the cab next summer, for now this will have to do...

3 songs in, low listening, its just awesome....

Hello,
I have a pair of RSIIIA also and I was wondering what the discernible or audible difference the Emit K's made over the Cobalt? I have the foam that wants to disintegrate up touching and was wondering where you got your material? I am hesitant to do anything because mine sound so good! I bridged 2 Rotel RB980bx to drive them even though the speakers are not 8 ohms but 365 watts seems to provide enough for the dynamics!

The limited time i've listened, (been away) they just sound better, I'm not good at the description but I listened to them side by side and the K is just plain better...

its not a drop in replacement because the K's metal flange is a little smaller...

I'm trying to find the place I got the foam from and will let you know....

Thanks for the reply Bkp! Wondering if the metal flanges can be switched out? If not how did you modify? I am listening side by side to Klipsch Cornwalls with updated tweeter diaphragms and new Sonic caps in the crossovers. The bridged amps for the Cornwalls is a little overkill but both sound excellent in their own way. The Cornwalls are more in your face and the Infinity's are somewhat more refined and smoother but with the upgraded diaphragms and caps there is more smoothness to the Klipsch than without the upgrades. I read thru this thread and I applaud and praise the job that you have done on you RSiiia's

Back
Top Bottom