Luxman L-80V vs Sansui AU-555A vs Pioneer SA-9100

drainyoo

I'm considering these three amps for my system and I'm interested in hearing from folks who have used some or all of these amps. What do you like and don't like about them? Which amp has the warmest sound?

For reference, I mostly listen to electronica, hip hop, jazz and classical music on my system, which consists of a Luxman PX-100 TT, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers and matching subwoofer.

I've never owned any Luxman or Sansui equipment. I can tell you that I have 3 SA-9100's and the matching tuners. I do think this equipment has a warm sound and a lot of versatility. Look on the back of the SA-9100 and notice all the jacks for 2 turntables, tape decks, etc. Both the amp and the tuner are nice looking units with the wood cabinets. They're built like a tank and have supplied me with years of hassle free entertainment.

Thanks! The 9100 seem solid and I've great experience with Pioneer gear from that era. Have you had to rebuild it at all? What's the best way to maintain it so that it performs at its best. Do you Deoxit every few years? Anything to look out for?

Yes...Let's see how this play's out....I have not heard the 3 you have listed...(But looking for L-80V myself)..never have too many Luxman. Only can comment on the Father in the Line for Lux...Luxman L-100U and Sansui AU-517.

Luxman L-100U(Recapped) is Warm, Velvety Smooth, PowerFul and Full in the Audio Range.

Sansui AU-517(Recapped) is Warm, Clean, Deep Bass and has a Fine Phone output.

I would not Sell either....

Pioneer SA will not have the Warm sound of the Luxman or Sansui....But more of a Modern Sound profile.

For the Music you listen to..:scratch2: Luxman

Last edited:
I've just bought a Luxman L-80V and am thrilled with the way it plays music. I say that rather than "the way it sounds" for significant reasons. I'm hearing textures in layered vocals, all manner of fine details in every genre of music I've listened to, but above all it just transports me musically in really strong ways, very emotionally connective. I just got it going last night after supper and couldn't go to bed until 2 a.m. when I finally forced myself to turn off the music!

I listen mostly to jazz (small combo, 50s and 60s, especially piano trios), orchestral from baroque to classical to modern, folk, lots of bossa nova, very little rock.

This thing is smashingly good. I'm using it to drive my Reynaud Trenté speakers and feeling might fine about this purchase. People often use the words "sweet" and "lush" to describe Luxman. Until last night I had never heard one. To those descriptors I'd add "articulate" and "spacious." (I hasten to add that I'm someone who doesn't give a fig about soundstage -- an effect that often seems to me to have been artificially created in recording and mastering -- but here when I say spacious I mean space around and in between the notes the musicians are playing, if that makes any sense.)

Cannot comment on Sansui or Pioneer.

Good luck!

I like both the 70's Sansuis and Luxmans a lot. Pioneers I haven't experienced (yet), so I can't comment on those.

Some time ago I rebuilt a Luxman L-80 and although I liked it and can underscribe Barncats (I assume you know your avatar shows a Citroën HY!) enthusiasm on it, I prefer the AU-555A.

I happened to fall in love with "Cardiacs" (listen to it at your own risk!), their album "Sing to God" is in fact a one and a half hour wall of sound in which it is not always easy to distuinguish the separate intstruments. The AU-555A is the only amp I have yet heard that knows how to deal with this. I played this music on a Luxman SQ-507x and a Techics SU-3500 (both rebuilt) too, the Sansui wins. And not only on this music, overall in fact.

I think both the Luxman and the Sansui are great, none of them will be a disappointment, though the Sansui probably gives best value for money. Still, it also comes to personal taste, it would be best if you could actually compare them.

Edit: the 555A has not been rebuild (yet).

Last edited:
Great, I never knew they had ever made it over the pond.
And a pick-up, that really is rare!

We think there are about fifteen H-vans in all of North America, most of them enclosed vans. I'm pretty sure mine is the only diesel pick-up (which is rare even in France). It gets 27 miles per gallon (8.71 liters per 100km) and can haul a 3500 pound payload. Does all manner of chores, hauling firewood, etc. The diesel is so loud, though, I have to wear earplugs when driving it out on the road!

Sorry for the deviation from the Luxman-Sansui-Pio topic. I'm listening to a Mercury recording of Respighi's "The Birds" on the Luxman right now and it's marvelous. Full of upper-register information without being strident or edgy.

Last edited:
Despite the topic it is always great to see very rare things, even more when it shows up in a place you definately would not expect it.

Obelix :lmao:

Ok, sorry, back on topic.

I tried to somehow define the difference between the Luxman L-80 and the Sansui AU-555A. Too bad I do not have the L-80 anymore, then I could have made the actual comparison. I do have an L-85, but it is in storage. An L-31 too, but also in storage.
I do recognise the remarks Barncats makes; a detailed and very well defined emotional kind of music reproduction. Perhaps the amp is not emotive by itself, but it is capable of translating the emotion already "stored" in the music and better at that too than a lot of other amps.
Perhaps I could describe the difference between the Luxman and the Sansui as follows; they are both able of this detailed and well defined emotional reproduction, only the Luxman does it more like a gentleman and the Sansui more like a folky.
Musically something like this; gentleman versus folky (skip to 3:55 if you don't like the intro).

I have heard a good number of amps over the last two years, I noticed that some amps perform better on a particular kind of music while there are other amps that perform less on that music but better on another kind of music. Perhaps the best advice - if you can afford it - buy both amps and enjoy them for a while.
Then either keep both of them or sell one. They will keep their value anyway, so it perhaps would not even cost you. (And again, the Pioneer might be just as good a choice, but I never heard it).

Last edited:
I had a Sansui AU-555A for a brief period and was impressed by the output and the sound. I still have a L-80V and it's pretty bad ass and cool to look at too. They both have their plus's and while I'm a fan of the Sansui sound if I had to pick it would be the L-80V.

Back
Top Bottom