Beginning/Temp. Preamp for MX1000

cgpiper

I recently acquired a beautiful MX1000 but don't have a preamp for it. I'd love to get a good deal on a CX1000 to match it, but until then I'm considering just getting SOMETHING in order to listen to the MX. Is there a ridiculous disadvantage to picking up a lower level Yamaha (or even another inexpensive brand) and using it as an interim preamp? I'm seeing lots of $150-300 Yamaha preamps (C and CX series) on eBay. At least I could enjoy what I have until the CX1000 (or something as good or better) comes along.

Suggestions? Yea? Nay? "What the hell are you thinking?"

Any Yamaha pre should be great. If you want to go outside the brand, I'm using a Luxman pre (TP-114) with my Yamaha power amps and it sounds really great. I got it from the bay for $130 shipped AND it has a remote which is why I'm using it over my C-80. I've heard of a few people here mixing Yamaha and Lux with great results.

I recently acquired a beautiful MX1000 but don't have a preamp for it. I'd love to get a good deal on a CX1000 to match it, but until then I'm considering just getting SOMETHING in order to listen to the MX. Is there a ridiculous disadvantage to picking up a lower level Yamaha (or even another inexpensive brand) and using it as an interim preamp? I'm seeing lots of $150-300 Yamaha preamps (C and CX series) on eBay. At least I could enjoy what I have until the CX1000 (or something as good or better) comes along.

Suggestions? Yea? Nay? "What the hell are you thinking?"

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with any properly functioning Yamaha pre.

Followup... I picked up a very inexpensive Marantz SR8500 that has preamp outs and will do nicely until the day I can find a great deal on a CX1000. Thanks again for the (public and private) feedback.

Back
Top Bottom