Yamaha tuner dies intermittently

sacguy231

First post here! Well, my tuner (T-32) is not fancy but it is mint and is perfectly adequate when working. However, it seems to intermittently "die" after a few hours of use. If starts by the signal becoming slightly static/poor for a few seconds, then it just goes to noise. All the buttons and lights remain working just fine, and if I turn it off for a bit it seems to work fine again when turner back on. So it almost acts like it's overheating or something, but it feels fine to the touch. Not too familiar with tuners in general, nor this type of issue, but want to see what it could be so that I can learn more and also diagnose future issues on new prospective tuners. Thanks!!

First post here! Well, my tuner (T-32) is not fancy but it is mint and is perfectly adequate when working. However, it seems to intermittently "die" after a few hours of use. If starts by the signal becoming slightly static/poor for a few seconds, then it just goes to noise. All the buttons and lights remain working just fine, and if I turn it off for a bit it seems to work fine again when turner back on. So it almost acts like it's overheating or something, but it feels fine to the touch. Not too familiar with tuners in general, nor this type of issue, but want to see what it could be so that I can learn more and also diagnose future issues on new prospective tuners. Thanks!!

Maybe a component in the power supply is shutting down once the unit warms up a bit. Could even be a cold solder connection or cracked PCB trace.

Thx. Yeah, that makes sense. This unit is old and basic and I imagine not really worth trying to fix since I'd have to have it looked at by someone else because my tech skills are basic (but getting better thanks to google and this forum!).

Wouldn't hurt to remove the covers and at least have a peek.

Could be a bunch of stuff, but sometimes a bad connection or solder joint will act like that. With the cover off, in its failed state, take a nice plastic rod and very gently tap things, including the circuit board(s) and see if the sound comes back. If it does, bad connection. If not, probably defective component.

Thx for the suggestions. Interesting thing that I noticed though, when it "dies" (loses reception) it begins in the lower frequencies...for example, in the 92.x, 95.x, etc. there will be no signal, just static, but I'll still have reception in the upper 105.x, etc for a minute or so, then all the frequencies are gone (static). Quite strange.

Back
Top Bottom