KA-801 Output Transistors

On-Semi (formerly Motorola) makes a great replacement. I don't remember the exact model right now, but I've used them in an old 801 I refurbished, as well as other amps.

Just found the part numbers in another thread: On-Semi MJ21193G and MJ21194G. ONLY get them from a reliable seller, such as Digikey or Mouser. If you try to buy cheap on eBay, Alibaba, or somewhere shady, you may well wind up with Chinese fakes. The real thing isn't that expensive, anyway.

Good luck, that's a great amp!

Just found the part numbers in another thread: On-Semi MJ21193G and MJ21194G. ONLY get them from a reliable seller, such as Digikey or Mouser. If you try to buy cheap on eBay, Alibaba, or somewhere shady, you may well wind up with Chinese fakes. The real thing isn't that expensive, anyway.

Good luck, that's a great amp!
Wrong, wrong, don't know how you think this is a replacement for the 801, nowhere near the same.

Nowhere near the same? Other than the mounting being different, they are possible candidates. XM-package devices are only available as NOS in most instances. Even DigiKey lists it as an obsolete device. Many of us have had to deal with mounting different packages to retrofit these - It's just part of the procedure now. One drilled/tapped hole and the deed is done until the new packages are NLA. Get them while you can, but be prepared to retrofit in the future.

Exactly, nowhere near the same, a TO3 case with 4 MHz? The 801 uses high speed transistors with MT-200 case. I just ordered 20 peices from B&D, 10 each of the compliments. 150 watt version. They still have 35 more, plus they have the 200 watt versions in stock...get these wile you can they are obsolete.

The MJL21193/94 are TO-264 cases.

shopping

Yea, that makes a big difference putting a L in the part #. That's NOT what the above post says. You still have to drill a hole to center it. No drilling on the sanken parts. Plus that still only 4 MHz, not a high speed transistor to put in an amp labeled as high speed.

Correct, but there is a variant at 30 MHz. As I mentioned, get the XMs while you can, and hopefully those DigiKey "Sanken" devices are genuine. The buyer has a much better chance of that when dealing with a reputable seller like DigiKey than an auction site.

But eventually, you'll be facing this kind of refit. Hopefully the selection of suitable replacements will still exist when that day arrives.

Back
Top Bottom