Mcintoshaudio.com experience

I have no affiliation with Terry.
However I am certain that many felt his cut-off time for receiving equipment before he went on vacation did not apply to them. Hence the additional time now before it gets on the bench.
Terry does the best, most affordable work on pieces that, quite honestly, few would even try to repair/restore.
I have sent many pieces to him and his estimate for when it arrives on the bench is very accurate. I always take his estimate, add a week for travel to his shop and expect to receive an email from him then.
Additionally, I always have a piece of equipment that 'understudies' for the piece I send him; so I am not high and dry until I get it back from him.
Patience, patience, patience...

That is what I expect happened too. I waited to send it until the end of July so it would arrive at the beginning of Aug. I have a couple systems so I'm still enjoying music.

When you are a one man band things can get quite frantic, I currently have 45 unopened boxes in the front hall waiting for service, plus another 30 hand carry pieces here in the shop. With each taking one day to complete and no delays for parts it would calculate out to a 75 day backlog in a perfect world, throw in parts orders, a few complete rebuilds that can be on the bench for a week or more, and my 110 day backlog is realistic. Opps, forgot add a few extra days answering eMails, at least an hour a day on the phone, food shopping, walking the dog, and yard work, I am glad I like what I do because I am out here in the shop 7 days a week at least 14 hours a day.

Hey Terry,
I know your very busy, I've followed your work. You do very good work!! Amazing how fast you do turn all those units around. Plus love pictures of your animals on your site. I know you have you own organization.

I was just very unsatisfied with your partner service to me. Maybe he was having a bad day week, month or whatever. I still don't understand how asking him of his opinion, if c30 i was buying would work well with mc240 I had just received would set him off. I really wanted the c30. It would of been paid Monday if he said yeah it sound good. I bought a mx110 from someone else.

As I have been saying before, there was no reason force a refund on me, him telling me this transaction would become sour. When I tried to buy something else he was backlogged. He told me c30 mc240 weren't compatible
to defuse what he said get out of the transaction.

Why I canceled in the first place. If I'm paying 1400 for a preamp and seller thinks I'm making the transaction sour by me asking how mc240 sounds with c30.
He made me very uncomfortable about it.

I have asked many many more questions from audio classics, ahead stereo in Hollywood. etc.. Which I did not even do, 3-4 questions at most for 1400 purchase? I don't think i crossed the line.

This my last say. I dont hold a grudge, I was confused honestly kinda hurt i was suddenly causing issues making transactions sour.

I e-mailed him how I felt, in very kind way, never heard anything back.

It is what it is.

sheltie dave

I can understand too. Trust me this wasn't like that. Even if it was, If i buy a car, I am going to ask questions, breaks, tired shocks etc..

All i asked about a trade in and if he got a check, if a mc240 would sound good with c30. Pretty much it.

mc240 when i mentioned it set him off. I have no idea why but it did.
Maybe he got pissed off i bought mc240 not from him but I had a c30 on layaway.

Even though i was going pay it off this week. I didn't tell him that because he said transaction was sour first, started forcing a refund

When you are a one man band things can get quite frantic, I currently have 45 unopened boxes in the front hall waiting for service, plus another 30 hand carry pieces here in the shop. With each taking one day to complete and no delays for parts it would calculate out to a 75 day backlog in a perfect world, throw in parts orders, a few complete rebuilds that can be on the bench for a week or more, and my 110 day backlog is realistic. Oops, forgot add a few extra days answering emails, at least an hour a day on the phone, food shopping, walking the dog, and yard work, I am glad I like what I do because I am out here in the shop 7 days a week at least 14 hours a day.

mad props, old school work ethic, above and beyond, nonpareil, gotta love ya bro!!!

When you are a one man band things can get quite frantic, I currently have 45 unopened boxes in the front hall waiting for service, plus another 30 hand carry pieces here in the shop. With each taking one day to complete and no delays for parts it would calculate out to a 75 day backlog in a perfect world, throw in parts orders, a few complete rebuilds that can be on the bench for a week or more, and my 110 day backlog is realistic. Opps, forgot add a few extra days answering eMails, at least an hour a day on the phone, food shopping, walking the dog, and yard work, I am glad I like what I do because I am out here in the shop 7 days a week at least 14 hours a day.

Hey Terry, An easier way to explain it is I'm up to my ass in alligators please be patient!

Last edited:
Hey guys!!

I got most of the signal caps replaced. Keeping the black beauty caps in there. Got custom multi caps on the way. Sounds amazing way better then 2125!!!!!!
Will keep updating.

Here is before and after. Then the tuner I got. :)

Attachments

• tyuum2fyriwng7giodwj (1).jpg
    tyuum2fyriwng7giodwj (1).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20140828_230151.jpg
    IMG_20140828_230151.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20140828_230159.jpg
    IMG_20140828_230159.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 36
  • download_20140829_000809.jpg
    download_20140829_000809.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 40
Hey guys!!

I got most of the signal caps replaced. Keeping the black beauty caps in there. Got custom multi caps on the way. Sounds amazing way better then 2125!!!!!!
Will keep updating.

Here is before and after. Then the tuner I got. :)

Nice. You are working quicker than I am. I got the caps repopulated last night but still need to do the resistors before I solder her back up and test.

Hey sxty8goats!

Yeah, I've recapped 15 amps or so under my belt. HH Scott 222, 299b,c,d
Fisher 400,500,800 c, b. Eico HF-20's, Dynaco st-70 Mark III's Some vintage 30s radios. :smoke:

So Far the MC240 is really easy to work on. Took me about 2 hours to replace all signal caps. I tested the resisters too. I replaced one bad one, quick trip to the rat shack. Sonic are amazing, I'm using a Chinese $30 free shipping tube preamp until i get the mx110. I'm impressed!!! :banana:

I had mx-112 and mc2125. So far this is on another level!!! :drool:
I'm sure there will be a sonic improvement once I replace the filter caps.
So far I've put in about $32 bucks and then $85-$100 for the filter caps.

Then I have mx110 to recap. Order 3 custom cans. Then use more orange drops, get the tuner alignment if it needs it.

I have a tube tester, prob test everything too. More so the MX110.

I'm pretty good with tube gear. First amp i recapped was hh scott 222b when i was 16. Now I'm 28.

:)

Hey sxty8goats!

Yeah, I've recapped 15 amps or so under my belt. HH Scott 222, 299b,c,d
Fisher 400,500,800 c, b. Eico HF-20's, Dynaco st-70 Mark III's Some vintage 30s radios. :smoke:

So Far the MC240 is really easy to work on. Took me about 2 hours to replace all signal caps. I tested the resisters too. I replaced one bad one, quick trip to the rat shack. Sonic are amazing, I'm using a Chinese $30 free shipping tube preamp until i get the mx110. I'm impressed!!! :banana:

I had mx-112 and mc2125. So far this is on another level!!! :drool:
I'm sure there will be a sonic improvement once I replace the filter caps.
So far I've put in about $32 bucks and then $85-$100 for the filter caps.

Then I have mx110 to recap. Order 3 custom cans. Then use more orange drops, get the tuner alignment if it needs it.

I have a tube tester, prob test everything too. More so the MX110.

I'm pretty good with tube gear. First amp i recapped was hh scott 222b when i was 16. Now I'm 28.

:)

This is my first and I don't expect it to be my last. But it is all new to me so I'm taking extra time to learn as I go. My first mistake was pulling all the resistors. Should have tested them first. Many say that metal film do not sound as nice as the original carbon comp and testing the carbon comps after they were pulled showed 97.5% of them to be in spec. Tested after removal and many clipped leads to make removal easier. Lesson learned...

Hi

:) If you need any help, let me know. I can take detailed pictures for you.
of the resisters. I think you will learn a lot in the process!
I bet it will sound very good!!! Once you start doing this more, it becomes more
natural. I can look at a tube amp. Guess what is what for the most part.
Take it slow.

Take Care

Casey

Are you sure you weren't really thinking about AudioClassics.com?
I need to do something with my MR78 tuner so I emailed mcintoshaudio.com about a possible trade and the response I got was a little rude and very blunt. Don't get me wrong... I don't blame the guy one bit for not wanting it. It has serious issues. But he could have at least been nice about it, especially considering he was dealing with a potential customer. Not now.

Audio classics is great! There always nice on the phone. Fast with shipping parts too. If I was making huge purchase I would buy from them.

The other place mcintoshaudio never buy again.

Terry is a great guy for repair!

My MC240 was completed over the weekend. Beautiful amp. Warmed her up a bit with FM radio for an hour or so then switched to my favorite Morphine LP, "Yes". Awesome. Put the band right in my living room.

This makes me want to set up my newly refurbished MC225 later this evening . . . I love the sound of vintage Mc tube amps!

I've bought McIntosh equipment from Tom in the past and it was a great, hassle free experience. I'd buy from mcintoshaudio again in a heartbeat.

Hey sxty8goats! Happy for you!!!!!!! What do you listen to?

Im getting my MX110 today!!

I'll take some pictures today.

ssmith3046 I'm glad you had a good experience!

Cheers
Casey

A little late to the party but FYI - the suggestion that C30 is incompatible or "would not work well" with MC 240 is utter nonsense.

Glad you found a nice MX 110 anyway. :thmbsp:

Terry did one for me recently and it is a wonderful unit both in aesthetics and sonics.

Maybe he had someone interested in it who was going to pay cash on the spot and wanted to get out of your deal. Not saying it's right but a possible explanation.

Hey sxty8goats! Happy for you!!!!!!! What do you listen to?

Im getting my MX110 today!!

I'll take some pictures today.

ssmith3046 I'm glad you had a good experience!

Cheers
Casey

I've been listening to a lot of jazz and blues influenced rock lately because Morphine is one of my top 10 bands and the YES lp sounds amazing. Morphine, Steely Dan, Mad Season.

But I'm a metal head at heart, I just seem to forget sometimes. Also been listening to a lot of 'alt' rock, The The, XTC, Talking Heads. I'm pretty much all over the place.

I heard from Terry the other day, My MX110 is about 31 days from the bench. A good month or two sooner than I expected. I must have got it in at the right time. I suspect that once his dock opened in Aug, he was flooded with people that couldn't send them in over the two month break. That is likely what caused the current 15 week back log and raised his stress level.

Back
Top Bottom