Guess who just bought an MC500 . . .

MC500 is a great sounding amp and a keeper. It did kill off the MC2600..

Thanks,
Ron-C

I always wondered about that. It's obvious to see why one would choose the MC500 over the MC2600 in a domestic setting ... kind of a no-brainer really.

It'll be interesting to compare the two.

This is all kev's fault btw ... I just wanna' be clear on that.

:thmbsp:

Hahaha.....Yes well, that may well be very true.......however, all I need to do, is to get me a MC500!!
More blue meters....:thmbsp: More black glass.....:thmbsp: More McIntosh......:thmbsp:

I always wondered about that. It's obvious to see why one would choose the MC500 over the MC2600 in a domestic setting ... kind of a no-brainer really.

It'll be interesting to compare the two.

That MC500 will be a more refined amplifier I am picking.......

We will see. So far, the MC2600 makes the Altecs sing like no other amp I've had connected to them. I thought my recently rebuilt MC225 was also pretty sweet, but it's really hard to use that and have an MC2600 sitting there idle.

Personally, I've always liked the industrial look - rack mountable, big handles, looks like it would be equally at home modulating sonar on a battleship, etc. I can certainly see why the MC500 would be selected by someone looking at it sitting next to a MC2600. I've always thought that that MC500 really nailed it for the glass faced Mc gear as everything seems to be in the perfect proportion. The meter size is JUST perfect!

Interestingly enough, both amps have some REALLY impressive specs. Mac claims the MC2600 is capable of 100A per channel and some 2200 Watts on 20ms tonebursts when driving a 1.6 Ohm load on the 8 Ohm tap (a wee bit psycho) and double that when using the amp in a mono configuration. [Bascom King measured 117V (856 Watts) per channel with an 8 Ohm load connected to the 8 Ohm tap at the flashing of the Power Guard lamps in the Feb '92 issue of Audio Magzine.] Mac doesn't offer similar dynamic power numbers for the MC500, but claims it has the highest current capability of any stereo amplifier ever offered at 112A per channel (at least when it was current).

Either way, both of these amps are McIntosh power houses! To that end, either amplifier requires a dedicated 20A low impedance line of at least 10 AWG to achieve the power numbers they're capable of. That simply is not possible in my home currently - at least not without spending a small fortune.

To date, I've never seen the Power Guard lamps flash on the MC2600 . . . unless of course, I'm turning the amp on. I've also never yet activated the fans on it. I guess all those reports twiiii has about MC2600s simply not dying in discos in Mexico no matter the conditions are apropos.

One thing is for sure - these amps are among the top 3 most powerful stereo amplifiers McIntosh has ever built. Since I really don't know much about the MC602, I have no idea if it's top dog or not.

Another thing worth mentioning is that this is my VERY FIRST component purchase from Audio Classics (I've bought parts from them multiple times). I've know Steve Rowell since the early 1990s. I'm glad that I'm finally in a position to purchase a component from such a world class operation.

Last edited:
That is no excuse! You have Andy email a couple "appetizer" shots and post those like Hi-Ho Sillver 79 did.

Jeez - do I have to think of everything? :D

Seriously though, congratulations on that. It is a beautiful thing.

BTW - What's the tally of watts up to in damacmanland these days?

I did ask Andy for a teaser pic. He hasn't sent it yet. We no longer talk in Watts around here. With the MC500, we're at more than 7.5 horsepower (still short of kev . . . ).

Last edited:
I just looked. The MC602 is the big boy - rated at 150A per channel. Wow. Anyone own one?

Those MC602s come up on Agon and ebay frequently but they tend to sit a long time. I don't know if it's because they're an older series so they don't garner as much attention, or because the owners seem to typically list them too high.

There's a nice reasonably priced one on Agon now (no association).

I'll post a pic him!! Congrats damacman

693715-mcintosh_mc500.jpg

My congratulation damacman for this wonderful amp!:thmbsp:

Attached you will find the measurement data which I find in one of my old Audio magazines. It is in german, but I think you will understand, what are the power figures and what are the S/N figure.

Have fun and enjoy your amp.

Best regards

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_5072.jpg
    IMG_5072.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 29
I just have one question for all you Macaholics...

What the hell do you need a 500 watt amp for? :scratch2:

I understand the Tim the Toolman Syndrome of more power. I don't think there is a speaker on the planet that can handle 500 watts. I mean, you have to be realistic on how you equip your audio system. Heaven forbid you power that sucker up, and then all the lights in the house go dim.

Damacman... I just hope you don't get a hernia lifting that bad boy. Better yet, stock up on pain pills and Ben Gay.

I do not mean to be blasphemous, so please forgive me. :D :thmbsp: :music:

You would be surprised how often the needle of my Mcintosh amps are between ca. 10 to 600 Watt. On my Accuphase amps you can read the power figure exactally from the digital power meter. You can see 200 Watt and more very often. I think to have headroom is one of the biggest advantages for strong power amps. We are doing a lot of blind test with amps, and with the time the statisics shows us, that normally the stonger amp is the better amp. I think it has to do with the headroom. And with my normal efficient speakers (87dB) 500 Watts are not out of the ball park. If you play Mahlers 2nd symphony with normal efficient speakers, you need this power.

Best regards

Martin

I think the MC602 is overshadowed by the 501s and 601s. To date I've never owned any Mc mono amps that weren't classic tube units. I have run four mono McIntosh setups that were each a ton of fun:

- Strapped MC2300s
- Bridged MC240s
- MC60s
- Bridged MC7270s

In each case, I was really taken by the setup. The MC240s easily trumped my all original MC275, the MC2300s easily trumped my MC2500, and the MC60s were maybe the best of all of those set ups. There is certainly something to be said for mono blocks.

I think another thing that holds back the MC602 may be its weight and size. What a great looking amp though. It's fully balanced from input to output so I'll likely want to try one at some point. There is just very little in the way of testimonials on them from owners so I haven't found much in that regard.

Awesome find, DMM!

From reading all that's been posted, I think your assessment on the 602's is probably close on a number of factors.

I recall (maybe RonC) saying it was easily the heaviest of the single-chassis stereo amplifiers Mcintosh has made (in recent history).

(OK, looked some of them up; the 2600's 130 pounds from RR's site http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif2.htm, barely edging out the 2500. The 602 blows away the 2600 at 155 pounds.) It outweighs the 1201 by ~8lbs, and well outweighs any module of the 2K amps (123 output and 127 power supply).

Not that it's weight alone, I recall the 501's were selling better at the time, and I imagine the 601's (as you've already mentioned) were a great deal easier to build.

I'm with you on the industrial amplifier look, but not everyone else would concur.

BTW, nobody is likely to catch up to Kev, anytime soon!

I still giggle when I recall his thread about repairing an MC250 for a buddy and how he had never heard a McIntosh amp to that point . . .

Mc could build an entire marketing campaign around that!

I just looked. The MC602 is the big boy - rated at 150A per channel. Wow. Anyone own one?
Having owned both an MC500 and MC602 (back when Frank Gow was still with us) I would not hesitate to pick the MC500 over the MC602. In fact, I would not hesitate to pick the MC500 over any other McIntosh amp I've owned or listened to. It is a terrific amp and congrats on getting yours. Did you get the early model with chromed chassis or a later one with stainless chassis. In the "show us your McIntosh" thread I posted a pic of my MC602 a number of years back with a long-neck sitting on it to give some perspective of the size (very large). I sold mine to a doctor who uses six (6) of them in his home recording studio. Think you'll be very pleased with your MC500 for the long term.

This is exactly what I did not want to be reading...... Somehow the MC500 during the course of this thread has become of great interest to me....
Oh no....... Here we go again.....:D

MX117.MC7150 - Interesting perspective there. So, you went from an MC602 to a pair of MC50s? That's a pretty radical change. I'm definitely anxious to get the amp and listen to it in my own setting. It's gonna' take a LOT to displace the MC2600 as my primary amplifier but one just never knows.

kev - Send me that 5002VZ and I'll let you know which amp controls my subs with greater authority! I'm betting that Crown will be tough to beat . . .

kev - Send me that 5002VZ and I'll let you know which amp controls my subs with greater authority! I'm betting that Crown will be tough to beat . . .

YEAH!! Lets do a swap......:thmbsp:...........but seriously, yeah the Crown is tough to beat on the subs, no doubt about it....

Last edited:
Two guesses. First one doesn't count.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but YOU, possibly???

Thank you Andy at Audio Classics!!!

You guys are killin' me!

Quite the reverse, in fact...

It has been rumored that I'm somewhat fond of BIG McIntosh amps ...

Who started that scandalous rumor???

Also I love the pic! You guys crack me up!

Sounds like a statement that concrete foundation would make to the Mc Amps if it could talk...

I asked Andy for a photo and he forgot to snap one before the amp was crated up and palletized. It's on its way to me now - should have it by Friday.

One thing is for sure . . . nobody has anything bad to say about the MC500 - I'm not sure I've ever heard so many glowing reviews and testimonials.

Back
Top Bottom