MB100 Posted

VintageMac

McIntosh Junkie
Sponsor
Subscriber
The new MB100 Media Bridge is now showing on the McIntosh "New Products" listing: Here

McIntosh MB100.jpg

From what I read, the MB100 is a network audio player, which will give you access to internet radio plus you will have access to your Pandora, Spotify, or Rhapsody account. It will come with a 1TB of storage. This may be great, but if you have internet radio, you will have access to over 20,000 channels. Seems that the 1TB storage may be overkill, at lease for me. If you have a gazillion mp3 files, the storage will be a plus for you.

It will be interesting to see what the cost will be. :music:

Really? For the cost It needs to be able to do more than store and play mp3s. This is a product that seems still born. I just don't get it.

See Autonomic Music Servers. Loosely based on that- Its a media bridge, it will give you access to all the non physical or streaming music, from compressed to High Resolution. DSD look elsewhere.

It will be more reliable than the MS750, but not as cool.

Loosely based? :D Port layout is identical on the motherboard side so it's most likely an MMS-5A with a daughter card DAC that bypasses the one on the motherboard and a beefed up analog out. Someone will open one of these up soon enough.

Stereophile's review on the MMS5A claims there is an issue with the digital out not being bit perfect. I'm really waiting because this unit fills the need for a digital front end perfectly.

Mcintosh Magic, you and I know what ordeal is. I am optimistic. Furthermore, if you had no desire to spend money on the very few High Resolution Tracks, get a Sonos Connect (maybe even the Wyred4sound Upgrade?) and plug it into a C2500.

I have an Autonomic MMS-5A, which from all appearances is what McIntosh uses in the MB100, with an upgraded DAC and different outputs.

I have my CDs recorded as AIFF files (44.1 kHz/16 bit) on iTunes, the iTunes "sync" program on my PC that automatically syncs the content, use the MMS-5A to stream my favorite FM stations from around the country (using the built in Tunein.com app) and my Spotify account, all controlled from my iPad.

I also have some hi-res music I purchased from HD Tracks in my iTunes library (192 kHz/24 bit).

I really enjoy the convenience and the sound quality is great (using USB digital output to the DAC in my McIntosh amp).

I suspect the McIntosh has all the great features of the Autonomic unit, with a better internal DAC.

I hear the price on the MB100 is $6500.

McIntosh MCD500, MAC6700, Totem Fire Monitors, Velodyne Optimum 10 Sub Woofer, Furman Elite 15, Wireworld Cabling, Sennheiser HD800 headphones

Last edited:
GOOD POST! :thmbsp:

I suspect the McIntosh has all the great features of the Autonomic unit, with a better internal DAC.

re: you will also get the data and power controls that are tied into a McIntosh remote/power sequence.

Back
Top Bottom