McIntosh Tuners

There is an excellent AM/FM tuner website that reviews all things related to tuners including indoor and outdoor antennae suggestions. In their "tuner shoot-out" the Macs do not actually compare very well with various Japanese tuners of the 1970s to date. Accuphase and Kenwood tuners lead the list.

And some of the tuners listed are often modified some. But Kenwood knows how to make very excellent tuners, after all they build superb amateur radio and commercial land mobile Two Way radio gear. Accuphase I regard as the Japanese McIntosh. And in my opinion equally superb.

Same thing on the U.S. TIC website when comparing non-updated McIntosh tuners to their updated peers from Japan. No surprise there.

And some of the tuners listed are often modified some. But Kenwood knows how to make very excellent tuners, after all they build superb amateur radio and commercial land mobile Two Way radio gear. Accuphase I regard as the Japanese McIntosh. And in my opinion equally superb.
Kenwood makes great ham equipment but I don't think ANYONE has made a great tuner since the 70's. That was an unbelievable era for tuners.

As what is arguably Kenwood's top tuner (and one of the best ever, the L-02T) was made in 1982, will need to extend that into the 80's. Yamaha also offered some highly regarded tuners into the late 80's and Sony into the late 90's. The newest Accuphase T-1100 is touted as the best they have offered. But, not many folks will spring for $6K+ to find out. And, one should not forget the Sansui's uber offering, the TU-X1, which is generally considered the top-o-the-heap on the TIC and was also an 80's offering.

"Tuned" older Mac tuners

Of interest, Classic Audio seems to be now offering upgrades for Macs' tuners from the earlier periods. They have on their website several upgrade possibilities, including a package done by one of the Mac tuner designers himself, apparently. It would be interesting to compare a "hot-rodded" vintage Mac tuner against some of these Japanese "classics" that make the top of these lists.

To the OP..when was the unit last aligned? Super narrow was always a compromise to allow you to reject the local adjacent station...otherwise why turn it off?

The MR80 for example did not have a normal just a narrow and super narrow.

The MR80 is a beautiful tuner, not just its looks but for its usability, and has been proven to pull in stations on almost all of the 99 or 100 possible FM slots (must check FM log for %age.) There's definitely a compromise using a Super Narrow filter but the MR80 implements it very well. Without digging into schematics or theory, a tighter filter will have phase response and band edge roll-off challenges. Nearly everyone recognizes that linear phase is needed for distortion free FM performance.

-Gregory

Last edited:
Error correction

Sorry, I meant to say "Audio Classics" is offering the Mac tuner "tune-ups". Not enough coffee yet this AM!

I think it has been already posted in other threads straight forward updates that should be made to vintage mac tuners..competant FM tech needed....yes...special voodoo self promotion hype....no

Of interest, Classic Audio seems to be now offering upgrades for Macs' tuners from the earlier periods. They have on their website several upgrade possibilities, including a package done by one of the Mac tuner designers himself, apparently. It would be interesting to compare a "hot-rodded" vintage Mac tuner against some of these Japanese "classics" that make the top of these lists.
I think your speaking of Audio Classics and Richard Modiffari (sp?), the designer of the MR77 and MR78. Is it worth $700? Looking at ebay for a long time, I don't think many sellers get their money back on this work. I am an electrical engineer who likes tuners but not an RF designer by trade. When I read the list of things RiMo modifies, my gut feeling is that the change in performance may be measurable but wouldn't slap you in the face when you first listened. Like a lot of things in the audio world, after you spend $700, the "emperor's new clothes" phenomenon kicks in.

http://www.audioclassics.com/mods.php3

Last edited:
What mods does he actually do? It is well known to replace the tantalums and electrolytics.

I think your speaking of Audio Classics and Richard Modiffari (sp?), the designer of the MR77 and MR78. Is it worth $700? Looking at ebay, I don't think many sellers get their money back on this work.

Many Mc users want to buy and trade up. I've got way too much into the XR6s and gawd knows how much into the 2205. Sometimes it's not about making a profit but going after something you really like and enjoy doing.. something about "being delighted each time you walk into the room."

-Gregory

What mods does he actually do? It is well known to replace the tantalums and electrolytics.

From the Audio Classic website.

Modafferi Mod

B- power supply - improved regulation, less hum.

RF selectivity improved for better spurious rejection.

IF regeneration fixed - better weak signal reception.

IF 'tailbiting' fixed - this eliminates degraded reception
at 96.3 and 107.0 Mhz from ninth and tenth IF harmonics.

(9th and 10th harmonic, !!!!!)

Stereo decoder slew-rate optimized by modifying op-amp
feedback circuits; reduces distortion, improves separation.

diode D307 installed (this was left out of MR78 but was
used in MR77); this reduces 'klunk' noises on fixed output
jacks when tuner is turned on and off.

IF phase trimming - 'gimmick' capacitors added as needed in
NORMAL IF filter for improved stereo separation.

RF oscillator emitter tap re-dressed for minimum leakage
inductance; reduces drift and eliminates oscillator
pulling on strong signals.

Jung-Marsh capacitor upgrade in MPX and audio circuits.

cardas audio output, midas scope output jacks installed.

Muting ground changed - improved muting performance.

19Khz stereo pilot circuit change, reduces stereo distortion.

Buffer resistor installed in pointer lamp circuit, prevents
lamp heat from burning red light filter material.

Investment: Tuner Approx. $700, Tuner-Preamps Approx. $900
Turnaround Time: Approx. 3 weeks
All changes are not applicable to every unit

Last edited:
Many Mc users want to buy and trade up. I've got way too much into the XR6s and gawd knows how much into the 2205. Sometimes it's not about making a profit but going after something you really like and enjoy doing.. something about "being delighted each time you walk into the room."

-Gregory

I like that too but eventually you'll like to trade up. I bet a tune-up upgrade from Terry Dewick will go a lot further for less money.

The MR80 is a beautiful tuner, not just its looks but for its usability, and has been proven to pull in stations on almost all of the 99 or 100 possible FM slots (must check FM log for %age.) There's definitely a compromise using a Super Narrow filter but the MR80 implements it very well. Without digging into schematics or theory, a tighter filter will have phase response and band edge roll-off challenges. Nearly everyone recognizes that linear phase is needed for distortion free FM performance.
-Gregory
Terry DeWick offers a complete refurb of the MR80 that takes care of its 'known' problems (drift of presets, etc.), along with a recap and alignment. Am guessing he does the same for the MR78. My MR80 has become my favorite tuner after Terry's TLC.

Terry DeWick offers a complete refurb of the MR80 that takes care of its 'known' problems (drift of presets, etc.), along with a recap and alignment. Am guessing he does the same for the MR78. My MR80 has become my favorite tuner after Terry's TLC.

The question then is to ship, or drive the 492 miles door-to-door to Knoxville. My MR80 needs some TLC. The tuning knob and Up-Dn arrows sometimes don't respond to the touch, and the top panel ANTENNA switch is failing (or has already failed) from pressing it so much doing A-B (or Ref to Main) antenna comparison. Already ordered and have a new 4-gang switch but it looks like a bear to change out. In the past two years the display has developed a condition where it will start to scan with no command input. If Terry knows what that is, then I could probably correct it. Otherwise is will need service.

Don't you just love the sound of those tiny relays going "tink,tink" when the tuner locks and unlocks! :thmbsp:

-Gregory

Last edited:
MR80 Refurb Thread...

I'm planning on buying a MR80 that is really good condition. I have a great local FM station that I really enjoy but it is a low power station. I want to install and listen to the MR80 in my office with nice high quality headset (don't have space for amp/ preamp/ speakers, etc). First off, is the headphone stage / performance pleasing on the MR80? Second, in general will the T. DeWick refurb help improve the performance the MR80 in terms of locking in on low power stations with clean sound? I realize this also depends on the antenna situation as well. I will not be able to install an outdoor antenna since I'm in a commercial office building so I will have to research the best indoor setup possible for my application. Thank you for any advise and / or your comments!

Also, another options is a MR74 rather than MR80. Although, I really like the looks of the MR80 and also the digital read out...

I'm planning on buying a MR80 that is really good condition. I have a great local FM station that I really enjoy but it is a low power station. I want to install and listen to the MR80 in my office with nice high quality headset (don't have space for amp/ preamp/ speakers, etc). First off, is the headphone stage / performance pleasing on the MR80? Second, in general will the T. DeWick refurb help improve the performance the MR80 in terms of locking in on low power stations with clean sound? I realize this also depends on the antenna situation as well. I will not be able to install an outdoor antenna since I'm in a commercial office building so I will have to research the best indoor setup possible for my application. Thank you for any advise and / or your comments!

Also, another options is a MR74 rather than MR80. Although, I really like the looks of the MR80 and also the digital read out...

Best idea would be to start your own thread rather than jump on a two year old thread......

However, I have a T. Dewick'd MR80, and although its mint, and totally operational, occasionally it does a few quirky things....
Remember, there is a lot of "early days" digital logic in these tuners.....So buying one and not having it reworked is not what I would recommend.
I would definitely send it to Terry to get it sorted otherwise it will do things like tune into other stations by itself, the presets may not always recall on the right frequency, and that sort of thing......

I like the MR80, I have mine in the bedroom system and listen to it every morning I am home, I choose to have my MR78 in the main lounge system where the serious listening happens....I find the sound of the MR80 to be accurate, but a little sterile compared to the MR78, the 78 has a real lush velvet sound, incredible mid range, and solid bass, the high end is soft but detailed..... .....
Hope this helps.....

As stated above, suggest you have Terry go through the MR80 first. The MR80 is very sensitive to having clean pots, etc., for the presets. And, as a good demonstration of how we all have our own ears/preferences, I prefer just the opposite of Kevin and like the considerably more "live" sound of the MR80 to the "lush" sound and tubby bass of the MR78. We all like what we like.

As stated above, suggest you have Terry go through the MR80 first. The MR80 is very sensitive to having clean pots, etc., for the presets. And, as a good demonstration of how we all have our own ears/preferences, I prefer just the opposite of Kevin and like the considerably more "live" sound of the MR80 to the "lush" sound and tubby bass of the MR78. We all like what we like.

Don't get me wrong, the MR80 is a terrific tuner when functioning correctly...
I still have it and have no intention of selling it.
I prefer the MR80 for low level type listening......
But yeah, there is something about the MR78 though....
As you say though, we all like what we like......:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom