RCA Cable Question

topcat84

Hi Guys!!
After a recent move, I'm now ready to connect my McIntosh components and wondered what your thoughts were on cables. I've always used regular RCA cables, but have had the same ones for many years and was curious if you guys think they should be changed out for newer ones. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the ones I have, but wanted to get the expert's opinions. As always, thanks in advance for the help. Cheers!!

Personally I have never been much of a believer in big $$$ speaker cables and ICs - provided they're in good condition and properly graded for their application (speaker cables).

On the other hand, if you genuinely feel you can hear a difference, by all means go for it.

Hi Guys!!
After a recent move, I'm now ready to connect my McIntosh components and wondered what your thoughts were on cables. I've always used regular RCA cables, but have had the same ones for many years and was curious if you guys think they should be changed out for newer ones. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the ones I have, but wanted to get the expert's opinions. As always, thanks in advance for the help. Cheers!!

I would think you would want to take this opportunity for a clean install. Dusting and a detailed cleaning of the components. Maybe a little deox-it on all your RCA jacks and speaker post in the back of the units.

You say that your interconnects are cheap so change them so they are new and clean as well. Depending on the amount of components you have you can look into better quality interconnects that have better shielding. Pay attention to the routing of the speaker cables, RCA interconnects, AC Cords, that everything is not just all bunched up together.

By the way it would help if your question was not so vauge.

List your components and models, do you have a turntable, MC cartridge, stage?

Do the units have balance XLR post?

How far are you routing components, Max interconnect leigh?

I always hook up the turntable last and keep the interconnect from laying all over everything else. This is especially true with a stage/Phono preamp, never cross the inputs over the output on the stage.

Not sure what you mean by "regular cables". If this means the freebies that come with the equipment I'm surprised none have failed yet.

Martin

wow ive used same patch/rca cables for several yrs !! frm bottom of barrel gear to the totl gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow ive used same patch/rca cables for several yrs !! frm bottom of barrel gear to the totl gear.
Well maybe with a post made to antagonize it could.

The OP did not ask what's better but if they should while the system is down replace interconnects that are quit old cheepo's.

A clean conection is a good conection.

Purchase a cable that is well-built with quality materials and you will be fine.
This can be done for a lot less than some people would want you to believe, but maybe a little more than you were expecting if you've only used the freebies that come with some components.

The older cables may have a insulation jacket issue, cracked conductor or possibly spread barrel connections. I'd go to Monoprice and replace any look or sound sketchy to you.

The most known cable maker brands are Canare and Mogami. Both are widely used in studios. If you have an oportunity to use XLR - this is better than RCA. You can find ready to use Mogami cables, or third party makers of cables using Canare wire + Neutrik connectors. Mogami offers lifetime warranty on their cables.

Last edited:
The older cables may have a insulation jacket issue, cracked conductor or possibly spread barrel connections. I'd go to Monoprice and replace any look or sound sketchy to you.

I wouldn't use monoprice RCAs on McIntosh gear, the connectors are cheap and too grippy and can actually damage things. Worth opening your wallet and going up to that $10 price point at Radioshack IMO.

Out of curiosity, I tried running el cheapo RCA ICs through the tape monitor loop - enabling me to make instantaneous A/B comparisons between the "pure" signal with the same through the interconnect.

I specifically listened for even the slightest signal degradation through the IC, using everything from test tones to all kinds of music - loud to soft, classical to rock, through both headphones and speakers - and I could not detect any difference whatsoever. None, nada, zilch.

That has been my experience.

That said - spend whatever you want on whatever cables you choose. :)

62caddy, you're such a trouble maker . . . :D

YEARS ago, I bought a roll of triple shielded Phoenix Gold RCA cable and all of the hard gold anodized ends. I made a ton of RCA cables of all different lengths. I still use most of them today without problem. I still do have some cable and ends . . . somewhere . . .

I think that most of us here would look more at reliability of the cable, quality of the terminations, the ability of the RCA to get a good seat, immunity to induced noise, etc. versus any sound quality benefits.

I enjoy building my own cables and this was cost effective way for me to get nice quality components, as I worked for a dealer at that time and bought all that stuff right.

Way back when, 60 and 70's Mcintosh use to include Barker cables with the components, pre-amps, tuners etc. We used a HP capacitance meters and they measured quite well compared to the cables you bought at Radio Shack, or other hi fi stores. Then custom cables came along, a few very few measured better and some that cost many times as much not as well. We measured Monster cable and it performed well, we liked the choice of connectors available to connect to speaker lines: spades, pins, expanding banana plugs and the choices of RCA plugs with the split center pin and the ground flanges that gripped the RCA receptacles. By the time I upgraded my system and added Home theatre all receptacles were gold plated on Mac equipment. I cleaned and reused as many of my Monster cable connectors as I could I added more for the new surround and center speakers. But rather than use pre maid cables for the HT hook up I bought similar connectors from Parts express and used Canare cable I bought bulk at work. I also purchased SWC XLR connectors with gold pins where I was using balanced connections again using bulk Canare. The 4 conductor twin balanced cable this time. I went to my friends business where he specialized in custom car installations for flat ribbon # 12 speaker wire to run under the carpet for the side and rear speakers. I had my carpet man come in and pull up the carpet to add more Monster cable 12 awg in the trough for the center channel. I guess I could have used #10 or #8 single strands of TNN, but the Monster cable is so much easier to work with. It measures well, as does the Canare for line level signals. I have tons of Belden RG-6 and Parts express RCA connectors for the component signal connections and video connections. I'm only using 4 short HDMI cables at the moment and one long cable. All of which I got from Audio Classics that Frank and Steve recommended. They do the JOB. I don't remember the name, but they were the middle priced of their offerings.

Hi Guys!!
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. FWIW.......I've never noticed any problems with the IC cables that I've used, and BTW, none came with the components that I'd purchased. I just thought if I was starting anew, maybe new cables would be appropriate. My equipment consists of a McIntosh 2105 amp, C28 pre-amp, MR78 Tuner, Thorens TD 147 Turntable, Soundcraftsman RP 2215-R Equalizer, a Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette Deck, a Sony CDP-C535 CD Player, and a Sony TC-756 Reel to Reel. All equipment was purchased new. The McIntosh components were bought in 1973. I've never been a big fan of expensive cables, so maybe that's why I prefer to stick to the basics. If I do decide to purchase new ones, are the Radio Shack connects okay? Thanks again for everyone's help. Cheers!!

Hi Guys!!
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. FWIW.......I've never noticed any problems with the IC cables that I've used, and BTW, none came with the components that I'd purchased. I just thought if I was starting anew, maybe new cables would be appropriate. My equipment consists of a McIntosh 2105 amp, C28 pre-amp, MR78 Tuner, Thorens TD 147 Turntable, Soundcraftsman RP 2215-R Equalizer, a Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette Deck, a Sony CDP-C535 CD Player, and a Sony TC-756 Reel to Reel. All equipment was purchased new. The McIntosh components were bought in 1973. I've never been a big fan of expensive cables, so maybe that's why I prefer to stick to the basics. If I do decide to purchase new ones, are the Radio Shack connects okay? Thanks again for everyone's help. Cheers!!
If your IC are as old as the gear they might be better then new cheep ones.

Back
Top Bottom