I need Buying advice please

AndyPrice44

Hello AKers,

I am thinking about purchasing some mcintosh equipment. I have listened to mac gear several times over the years and was always impressed by it. I currently own tube gear and am going back to solid state again. I have a budget of $4500 give or take to purchase a preamp and power amp. This will be strictly a 2-channel system. I will be using my VPI classic turntable and my oppo disc player as my main sources. I also have apple TV to play lossy music from Iphone/Ipad. I would like to have a preamp with a very good phono stage. I would also like a remote control. I have been doing a bit of research on used equipment. I am thinking about a C40 or a C42 pre paired with a MC7300 or MC7270. I know the MC7270 has autoformer and the MC7300 is direct coupled. I should be able to acquire these within my budget. I am also open to suggestions from those knowledgeable about these components. If you had $4500 to spend on a mac system, what components would you go with? I really appreciate all suggestions and feedback. Thanks a lot.

Andy

One thing I forgot to mention is a feature I liked on the C26 preamp. It has a continuously variable loudness control for full frequency listening at lower volumes. I like this feature because the loudness isn't a fixed slope. Is this feature on the C40 or C42? I haven't seen it mentioned in the information I have read so far.

Hello AKers,

I am thinking about purchasing some mcintosh equipment. I have listened to mac gear several times over the years and was always impressed by it. I currently own tube gear and am going back to solid state again. I have a budget of $4500 give or take to purchase a preamp and power amp. This will be strictly a 2-channel system. I will be using my VPI classic turntable and my oppo disc player as my main sources. I also have apple TV to play lossy music from Iphone/Ipad. I would like to have a preamp with a very good phono stage. I would also like a remote control. I have been doing a bit of research on used equipment. I am thinking about a C40 or a C42 pre paired with a MC7300 or MC7270. I know the MC7270 has autoformer and the MC7300 is direct coupled. I should be able to acquire these within my budget. I am also open to suggestions from those knowledgeable about these components. If you had $4500 to spend on a mac system, what components would you go with? I really appreciate all suggestions and feedback. Thanks a lot.

Andy

C40 (no remote) or C42(remote) with a MC7300 would be a rocking combination, or a MC300.....

The MC7300 has Autoformers.....its the MC7200 which is direct coupled......

The MC7300 is slightly newer in design, the MC7270 is just a hopped up MC2255.....so a bit older, but still a really awesome amplifier.....

What about a big integrated like the MA7000? More modern and likely will need no servicing in the near future. I had one for a while and really liked it, 250 watts, nice pre section with the classic 5 band eq, mc452 handles and a remote...nice package! Oh and the power amp in the unit is effectively an upgraded circuit of the mc252, a very nice amp!

Kev and don

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I want to stay with separates. I will take a look at the MC300. I wasn't aware of that one before. It looks to be basically the same amp as the 7300. I would be happy with either of them. Can you guys give me any more info on the preamps? I am not very familiar with them. I just singled out the C40 and C42 because I liked their features and they meet my price point. I see that you say the C40 has no remote. I know there are earlier models with remote. Is there an earlier model with the same feature set and remote? I am not stuck on those two models of preamp or power amp. I don't absolutely need 300wpc either. My speakers aren't hard to drive. It would be nice to have the extra headroom though. I'm just in the planning stage right now. I just wanted to start a thread here and ask you guys that know this equipment well.

I know you want to stay with separates, but you simply can not beat the MAC6700 Stereo receiver for a setup like what you want with easy to drive speakers. Everything you could possibly ever need in one box including MM and MC phono stage and even an AM/FM tuner. Last one that went on ebay sold for 4125, leaving some dollars left over in your budget, and nothing to bother fixing or restoring.

If you ever outgrow it, it would still make a phenomenal preamp (though hindered by lack of XLR out).

I checked that MAC6700 out. That looks like a good option. I will keep that in mind as well. Does anybody know where I can find the moving coil loading options for this unit? I read the entire owners manual but, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I have a low output moving iron cart. My cartridge needs a 2,500ohm moving coil loading. I could get by with a minimum 2,000ohm loading.

C40 (no remote) or C42(remote) with a MC7300 would be a rocking combination, or a MC300.....

The MC7300 has Autoformers.....its the MC7200 which is direct coupled......

The MC7300 is slightly newer in design, the MC7270 is just a hopped up MC2255.....so a bit older, but still a really awesome amplifier.....
:thmbsp:

$4500 is an excellent budget to purchase your first Mc system. Any of the amplifiers you mentioned would be excellent choices. The MC7200 is somewhat unique in that it's one of only two high powered McIntosh stereo amplifiers to be offered without autoformers (the other being the MC2002). Several AKers own them and really like them. Personally, I've never owned one and am constantly looking for a deal on one so that I can try it out for myself.

Maybe ron-c can chime in on a recommended preamplifier to match your cartridge. As for the variable loudness, this was a feature that McIntosh offered on numerous preamps. You may find Roger Russell's web site a great resource to determine features on the various McIntosh preamps over the years.

You didn't mention a tuner, but you may keep an open mind there. McIntosh has built some of the very best tuners offered. This may be something you consider down the road to complement your system.

BTW, something to consider if you've never owned a McIntosh amplifier. Any McIntosh amplifier with Power Guard can play at a higher average listening level than a similarly powered amplifier that does not have power guard. 300 WPC in a McIntosh amplifier is a LOT. You may be surprised at just how much power that really is.

The only Mc amp I own with Watt meters is the MC2600. My speakers have a sensitivity rating of 90.5 db a 1W/1M. Readings of 60 wpc on the MC2600 are extremely loud and normal listening sessions are more commonly between 6 and 60 wpc according to the meters.

thanks for the info damacman. I do have a stand alone pioneer tuner I can use so the tuner is not top priority. I agree with you about the power. 300WPC is a lot of power. I am just trying to prevent having the upgrade bug again in the near future. I don't really need that much power at the moment but, I plan on keeping this amp for a LONG time. The extra headroom will be nice as well. I think I have narrowed my amp list down to the MC7300, MC7270, MC300 or MC2255. I just need more advice on a preamp that would pair well with any of those amps. I have looked at the integrated amps and receivers in my price range but, I keep coming back to the separates. I talked to a dealer and found a really nice deal on a MA5200 but, I feel like I would be wanting to upgrade from that unit pretty fast.

MC300 and MC7300 have much beefier speaker output terminal blocks as well as balanced inputs as compared to the MC2255 or MC7270. The MC300 lacks front panel gain controls. The MC2255 was the last of the chrome chassis McIntosh amplifiers (a plus for collect-ability) but most suffer from detached lettering under the meter bezel which requires a replacement faceplate to cure. All in all, four great selections - the MC7270 remaining one of the best buys in McIntosh amps (I've had four).

I've had several McIntosh integrated amps over the years, but never kept any of them all that long. I did assemble a system for my father around a McIntosh MA6200 and honestly that system sounded way better than it had a right to. He thoroughly enjoyed it for years. Mc certainly doesn't compromise when putting the preamp and amplifier (or tuner and preamp for that matter) in a single chassis.

Thanks damacman. That's good info. Can you guys give me some information about what's under the hood of these amps? Which one has the beefiest power supply? How about current delivery. Is there one amp out of the four mentioned above that has a better circuit design? Do any of the four have any known shortcomings or common failures? Which one would you believe to be the most reliable?

Last edited:
Thanks damacman. That's good info. Can you guys give me some information about what's under the hood of these amps? Which one has the beefiest power supply? How about current delivery. Is there one amp out of the four mentioned above that has a better circuit design? Do any of the four have any known shortcomings or common failures? Which one would you believe to be the most reliable?

they all have beefy power supplies, they can all deliver huge current, and "better" is a matter of opinion....
All those designs are great designs........

If it was me, I would be going MC7300 or MC300 simply because they are newer and won't require any re-capping or updating......The MC2255 was the last amp they made with the Chrome chassis......

McIntosh amplifiers are possibly the most reliable amplifiers ever made, and the models you are looking at are no exception......

You were asking about pre-amps and variable loudness.
I think the C40 might have been the last pre-amp with variable loudness, the C42 and onwards doesn't have it, Mc did away with it, but it seems to be a pretty popular feature so not sure why they did that....

The C40 is a really nice pre-amp, and is the "period" match to the MC300, it has the variable loudness, it has plenty of inputs, it has one set of balanced line inputs, it has balanced outputs, it has the 5 band EQ.....its feature packed...
I really like my one, and I will never sell it.....
The only issue is no remote, I'm not sure how you feel about no remote, in my case I never really thought about it until I had the C48.....
The remote with the C48 for wasn't the selling point......

Though the C-40 has no remote, its the last of the full featured pre-amps that was started with the C32. Full mode selector, high and low pass filters, record selector, and input selector that can be used a monitor selector. It has a great second zone, headphone, or main amp for Klipsch horns, Hartsfield, Capistrano, Ev patricians, etc with over 104 db sensitivity with 1 watt. Remember what Paul Klipsch was to have said: All the world needs is a good 10 watt amp.. Personally all I need is a great 100 watt amp, but love the sound of the 1.2 K. Figure that out.

The C-40 has provisions to insert external processor in the listening or recording loop. I love that feature on my C-34. I like variable loudness, expander compressor, the output switching too.

The newer pre-amps aren't as flexible or versatile as the older units, and the integrated units are even less so. I think the MA 6200 was the last of the full featured integrated units.

You pick your poison and suffer the consequences.

I checked that MAC6700 out. That looks like a good option. I will keep that in mind as well. Does anybody know where I can find the moving coil loading options for this unit? I read the entire owners manual but, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I have a low output moving iron cart. My cartridge needs a 2,500ohm moving coil loading. I could get by with a minimum 2,000ohm loading.

It's at the very end at the back: "Phono MC, 50, 100, 200, 400 or 1,000 ohms; 100pF"

Not sure what you guys mean when you say the 2255 was the last of the chrome chassis amps. I'm assuming you mean of the "classic" era, because they're going back to the chrome chassis on most things again. My 601s have chrome chassis and so does the MC452 C2500 and C50 along with others. The C2300 is all black as are the C500 and C1000.

If that C40 had a remote, it would be the perfect preamp for me. I can live without a remote. All my vintage receivers have no remote. I just want remote volume control and muting. I have seen some aftermarket units that are made for vintage equipment that add remote volume/mute. I am leaning towards the C40 at this point, paired with either the MC7300 or MC300. I would prefer the MC300 because, as it was mentioned above, that is the period correct piece. It just all depends on what kind of deal I can come across. I am going to look into the volume control unit and see if it is a viable option. If it degrades sound quality, I will just do without it.

*** EDIT ***
You guys check out this unit.http://www.audiocubics.com/

I know this would give me the volume control but, will it degrade quality? That is a big question. Does anyone own a unit like this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom