mcintosh c2300 left meter reading much lower than right one

william13

That's not me
Just turned on the c2300. The right output meter is reading about 20 while left 40. Sound sounds good. Please help me trouble shoot

? source: MT10

? amps mc 275 mono's

speakers SF ellipse

Sounds fine.

All tubes green

Ideas please

Bill

Does not matter if I change sources or reverse channels from source.

left channel reads -50 and rt -20.

there is movement of meter on both sides but not much on the rt.

How about switching the tubes? Say take one from the phono stage and replace the bad side. That would focus the issues on the bad tube.

I think you are saying the meter is not representive of the sound ie. sounds good, both channels output sounds to be at same level. I would suspect the meter drive circuit which should be independent of the output as it only samples the output.

Maybe try reseting factory defalts by holding the stand by button in until it trips. Write all your setting down frist though so you can get back to how you had it set.

Maybe before the above unplug the unit for about 5 minutes and then see what it reads.

If sound is balanced (I assume you checked balance settings) then it has to be the meter/circuitry.

Ok Here is the answer. I called Mike at Audioclassics and

1. he had me switch the tubes on the MC phono: no fix
2. changed the left and right meter: that diagnosed the problem. The good right meter worked on the left. Bottom line: need a new meter.

I do wonder what went wrong with the meter but I suspect that is beyond a home repair job.

I completely disassembled the broken meter. I did not pull the final product out of its housing. On the surface it looks perfect. Nothing obvious in terms of particles, oxidation, obstructions. Its simply lazy. Will get a new one.

Despite warning to be careful, I somehow pulled the red wire out of the connector on the remaining working meter. That was very embarrassing. With magnifier glasses I was able to remove the crimp pin from the connector but it was squished closed by the experts who assembled it in the beginning. Guess I will see if I can get a plastic adapter or a crimp pin for it. Sometime in the DIY world you win and sometimes you lose.

I think we had two or three meters give us issues. One would stick intermittently, we just backed off one of the pivot screws an 1/8 of a turn. One just totally failed. Another one was lazy like yours and we had to replace it like you did. As I remember one meter was from a 2505, another 2205 and the last a 2105. Bu I guess 2 total failures over over 2000 amps over 25+ years isn't too bad.

I think we had two or three meters give us issues. One would stick intermittently, we just backed off one of the pivot screws an 1/8 of a turn. One just totally failed. Another one was lazy like yours and we had to replace it like you did. As I remember one meter was from a 2505, another 2205 and the last a 2105. Bu I guess 2 total failures over over 2000 amps over 25+ years isn't too bad.

Thats why I love the 2300:thmbsp: no issues:banana:

So this is the piece I broke the wire off of. It has a crimp pin inside it that I effectively removed. There is no undoing a crimp pin to use again so I am going to buy the housing and appropriate tin (for what I think is 28 gauge wire and fix it. The fix will be for pennies except........you guessed it.....................the crimp tool. This is a one time only crimp so please make your crimp tool suggestions reasonable.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0050579402/WM2900-ND/115029

Despite warning to be careful, I somehow pulled the red wire out of the connector on the remaining working meter. That was very embarrassing. With magnifier glasses I was able to remove the crimp pin from the connector but it was squished closed by the experts who assembled it in the beginning. Guess I will see if I can get a plastic adapter or a crimp pin for it. Sometime in the DIY world you win and sometimes you lose.

Been there. I like to restore old 30's/40's AM radios for a hobby & I have a trick that works well for me thought it's probably more involved than most people care to deal with; I have a pair of the powerful stereo magnifying glasses, the kind you strap around your head and have two lenses you look through. I also have a large magnifier on an adjustable arm that has a small fluorescent light around an 8" or so single magnifying glass.

I hover the illuminated magnifier over my project and wear the stereo magnifier glasses and look through the magnifier with them on so it becomes a stereo microscope instead of simple magnification. Stereo because though you're looking through that one large glass and you're using both eyes equally and you see in 3D instead of monocular 2D with just the one eye.

You can use simple reading glasses instead of the high power stereo magnifiers but you don't get the same intense magnification. It's amazing when you can get so close a view that you see the tiniest specks of dirt & minuscule drops of moisture in-between the lines of your fingerprints. If you have to solder or do any fine disassembly/assembly in the future, this will help you tremendously.

Gary

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom