D100 with iDevice

bg3009

G'day,
As I understand from a couple of reviews, the D100 can work with an iPhone or iPad. I've got the camera connection kit and hooked my iDevice up but aside from being recognised by the iDevice, I seem to get no sound from the D100. Is there anything I need to do by way of power up sequence etc.?

I-device -> Apple TV-> PCM digital out of Apple TV to D100 digital input, then you will have sound.

Thanks again,
Ron-C

I hook my iPad up though the USB output to USB input and only requirers selecting USB on the D100. Since I use another preamp I need to select that input. This setup will alow high res files.

My iMac is setup the same with the USB but you have to go into Sounds and select the mac unit for the speakers output.

G'day,
As I understand from a couple of reviews, the D100 can work with an iPhone or iPad. I've got the camera connection kit and hooked my iDevice up but aside from being recognised by the iDevice, I seem to get no sound from the D100. Is there anything I need to do by way of power up sequence etc.?

You have to select the USB input on the D100 and if this is your preamp thats it.

If you are using it for DAC only make sure you are using the corect outputs to your preamp. And in that case you need to select the D100 input you setup on the preamp.

I must be missing something here. Why is the camera connection kit necessary? Shouldn't it just be lightning or 30 pin connector out of the iPad to the USB connector on the D100? I'm assuming a USB connector changer might be needed based on what it is on the D100 side, but the camera connection kit doesn't make sense to me.

I've selected the USB input on the D100 (No 5) and the iDevice shows me being able to select Mcintosh Labs USB device. The sound on the iPad speaker then cuts off but no sound comes thru the headphones on the D100 and I don't get any resolution info on the display of the D100 either.

Ron, the D100 works beautifully with AirPlay but I am trying to get direct connection as Airplay only does 44.1/16.

The FLAC player on the iPad was saying that it outputs to a DAC with the camera connection kit. How are you Gents getting the iPad to work on the D100?

The camera thingy shares the same USB info as the D100. Just say yes and it will work fine.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Cool, so I do run the D100 thru the camera kit to the iPad. Has there been any issues with the newer OS (7.1.2) ?

I've selected the USB input on the D100 (No 5)<YES and the iDevice shows me being able to select Mcintosh Labs USB device.<I have never had to do this. The sound on the iPad speaker then cuts off <YES but no sound comes thru the headphones on the D100 and I don't get any resolution info on the display of the D100 either.<Do you have the D100 hooked up to another Preamp? And your whole system on? Did you select the input setting on the Preamp that the D100 is hooked to?

Ron, the D100 works beautifully with AirPlay but I am trying to get direct connection as Airplay only does 44.1/16.<YES I understand this!!

Your being way to vauge, We need to know your system and how you have things hooked up!!

Last edited:
I must be missing something here. Why is the camera connection kit necessary? Shouldn't it just be lightning or 30 pin connector out of the iPad to the USB connector on the D100? I'm assuming a USB connector changer might be needed based on what it is on the D100 side, but the camera connection kit doesn't make sense to me.

Because the D100 has USB "B" Printer end. And you can't get lightning or 30 pin that way. The camera kit is just adaptors.

If you want high quality sound in the Apple world you can use a Mac Mini or Powerbook running the latest software and a high quality music program.

I use an iPad to control my PC laptop which is Win 8.1 running an Intel Quad Core with a 512 SSD. This delivers great sound quality which I must have in my job.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I had a Mac Mini running Amarra but the kids want that for running Plex in the living room. I've tried out a rasberry pi with Volumio ( which works brilliantly with the D100) and now the iPad as I'd rather get a MB100 then another Mac Mini.

You can get adaptor that allow a standard Apple cable to connect into the Type B socket of the D100. I've tried that as well as the CCK. I've got my D100 going into C2300 but if I'm not getting sound through the phones output of the D100 and resolution info on the display of the D100, I don't see the point of firing up the rest of the system.

I had a Mac Mini running Amarra but the kids want that for running Plex in the living room. I've tried out a rasberry pi with Volumio ( which works brilliantly with the D100) and now the iPad as I'd rather get a MB100 then another Mac Mini.

You can get adaptor that allow a standard Apple cable to connect into the Type B socket of the D100. I've tried that as well as the CCK. I've got my D100 going into C2300 but if I'm not getting sound through the phones output of the D100 and resolution info on the display of the D100, I don't see the point of firing up the rest of the system.

Well if you don't see the point of turning on your preamp/controler you will never hear anything.:no:

Once you have plugged the D100 into the C2300 and used the correct outputs of the D100 it has no volume control. All your controls are on the C2300 except the D100 source selector.

You can get adaptor that allow a standard Apple cable to connect into the Type B socket of the D100.

Yes, I have something like this I got at the computer store (Micro Center) normal style USB female to USB Type B male where it connects in to the other device. I think it was about 5 bucks.

I got mine on ebay for about the same I think. I am not sure why the iDevice is not passing the stream to the D100. I am using an older iPhone 4 and iPad 2, so perhaps a device related issue?

I got mine on ebay for about the same I think. I am not sure why the iDevice is not passing the stream to the D100. I am using an older iPhone 4 and iPad 2, so perhaps a device related issue?

Did you turn on your system > select the source on the C2300 which is the D100?

Well, if it isn't passing audio to the headphones jack, I figured it wasn't going to pass audio to the C2300, so no, i didn't fire the rest of the system up.

Well, if it isn't passing audio to the headphones jack, I figured it wasn't going to pass audio to the C2300, so no, i didn't fire the rest of the system up.

Well I can't help you if you don't take the method of operation to heart.

I'll leave you with this does your iPod volume work when pluged it to the D100? NO.

The D100s volume does not work when pluged in to the C2300.

So leave your system off and wast our time.

Back
Top Bottom