CX-1000 button replacement

rottalpha

Yamaholic
Subscriber
Hello everyone!

I have recently acquired a CX-1000U preamp. I am very happy with the way it sounds and want to make it a permanent component of my system.
Everything functions as it should but the Source Direct button cover is missing. I saw other Yamaha preamps with missing buttons.
Is this a common issue? Where could I find a replacement button for this amp?

Attachments

• 2014-08-16 09.05.12.jpg
    2014-08-16 09.05.12.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 82
Hello everyone!

I have recently acquired a CX-1000U preamp. I am very happy with the way it sounds and want to make it a permanent component of my system.
Everything functions as it should but the Source Direct button cover is missing. I saw other Yamaha preamps with missing buttons.
Is this a common issue? Where could I find a replacement button for this amp?

The replacement switch covers are usually attached to a CX-1000. Keep and eye out on ebay for someone parting one out. Good luck.:thmbsp:

I fashioned a couple of tabs out of the front part of a VHS cassette.
Cut to fit, fine sanded edges and reglued.
Looks original.

Reactions: mbz
Looks original.

Great idea ! VHS are readily available.

Last edited:
Looks original.

Super, Thanks!

I noted that Yamaha uses interchangeable buttons on many devices. I found (for sale) a field processor with identical buttons. I will try the VHS solution first, hopefully I will be as skilled as you. If it does not work out, I will get that field processor and strip its buttons. It looks that it has more than one of the kind I need.

Hello rottalpha. I recently bought a CX1000 with the same problem. Could you fix them? Thanks in advance from Argentina.

Hello rottalpha. I recently bought a CX1000 with the same problem. Could you fix them? Thanks in advance from Argentina.
no, lost interest. I will eventually fix it because it does bother me.
I believe that Yamaha relies on economies of scale and that some of the buttons in other contemporary Yamaha equipment would be the same, such in the DSP-100U or CDX-520. Same goes for silver units (if anyone is missing buttons in a CX-2000)
that being said, I have not validated my theory yet.

Attachments

• cdx-520.jpg
    cdx-520.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 56
  • dsp-100u buttons.jpg
    dsp-100u buttons.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for your answer. I think I finally do something with my own hands. If I achieve something decent, I'll upload images

no, lost interest. I will eventually fix it because it does bother me.
I believe that Yamaha relies on economies of scale and that some of the buttons in other contemporary Yamaha equipment would be the same, such in the DSP-100U or CDX-520. Same goes for silver units (if anyone is missing buttons in a CX-2000)
that being said, I have not validated my theory yet.

Where you able to valid your theory? I've got a CX-1000 with the same problem

dino74

Good idea of rottalpha. I followed his advice a while ago and found on ebay a front plate that had the same power and imput buttons.
I asked the measurements of the buttons and they match. Unfortunately the seller does not ship outside the US so I lost the opportunity.
Now I'm following another front plate but only the power button matches. So I think it's a matter of searching.
Meanwhile, manufacture by hand a replacement. If you are interested, upload photos. A warm greeting from Argentina.

Attachments

• CX-1000 button replacement.JPG
    CX-1000 button replacement.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 50
If there was a nice solution to this, I think a lot of CX-1000 users would be very interested. it seems that most of the preamps I've seen on eBay are missing a least one cover.

what I do not understand is what the ***k ppl do with the button once it falls off? Just toss it out?
I see so many of these without buttons(Yes, Yamaha used a crappy glue) but I allays scratch my head to why are the buttons lost

you would find me dumpster-diving for those buttons if that happened to my CX. I love this thing!

Funny, I have a mint one here (with box and everything) that I never use. Lovely piece of gear but it just doesn't 'do it' for me. I think it's the hangover styling from the mid 80s before Yamaha got rid of the silly angled buttons and then softened their panel edges and controls.

When we were selling them new, they were AU$2399- it was very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom