CR-820 and 620 question

Hitachiht550

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a small family of CR-x20 receivers an lately I have noticed that my 820 right side keeps going out when I play records. It doesn't do it on anything else. When I checked the connections I got a loud hum when I touched the right channel. Any clues on this?

Next my CR-620 wood case is not like my 820 or my 1020 it seems to me made of ply-board instead of vinyl wrapped particle board. Any one heard of this before? Also if you knock on them you get totally different sound, and no vinyl wrap. When I look other CR-620s they seem to be like my other two Yamis.

Anyone know where to get another wood case? My 820 is a little boogered up on the corner. Will a 620 case fit?

Here is pic of the family

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20140811_150609.jpg
    20140811_150609.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have a small family of CR-x20 receivers an lately I have noticed that my 820 right side keeps going out when I play records. It doesn't do it on anything else. When I checked the connections I got a loud hum when I touched the right channel. Any clues on this?
It's normal to get a loud hum if you touch one of the phono inputs. I'd first try swapping the left/right cables to see if the problem follows the cable, if so the problem may be with your turntable.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have never noticed being that its off most of the time I am messing around with the wires. I have the turn table hooked up to the 620 right now.(it's a Dual 1216 TT) Guess we will see soon enough.

Perhaps someone stripped the vinyl off the 620 case to reveal the plywood cab underneath.

I recently belt-sanded the vinyl covering off a CA-600, stained the case, and added some Tung oil finish. Turned out nice.

When I checked the connections I got a loud hum when I touched the right channel. Any clues on this?

Don´t touch it!:D
You have a cracked solder connection on that phono jack.

Thanks for the replies. I will pop the cover on the 820 and see if I can find anything.

As for the 620.. I will do some more investigation and see if I can improve on the looks of this thing.

Thanks again

I just bought a 620 on eBay, It looks lovely, proper Walnut veneer over plywood (ply doesn't distort as "solid" wood can). If it had been a vinyl wrap I'd have been a tad disappointed. Maybe the vinyl wrap was a later cheaper alternative? Or did someone overhaul it post manufacturing?

Pete

The CR-820 I had was completely original, ply with vinyl wrap over the ply, so they must have had various finishes depending on the production run.

Maybe I need to examine it more closely? It certainly looks too matt for vinyl?

Pete

Edit : It seems the UK and European models had a different case, the bottom is a separate piece. However, it's still a vinyl over wood affair. Bummer.

Last edited:
Every CR-420, 620, and 820 I've seen has had wood grain vinyl veneer. The CR1020 and up have real wood veneer as far as I know, I may be wrong though. I personally have owned all in the series except the 3020 and still have a CR820 & CR1020.

My CR840 did the same thing. It was the phono jack. Kind of a bitch to get to but it can be done.

Not sure if someone overhauled the 620 or not. I can say that the stain looks...thin. like not enough coats are on it. I have a new cart coming in for a different TT and I will hook it up to the 820 to see if the problem persist.. Thanks for all the info guys.

Did anyone answer the question about using a 620 cabinet on an 820? They seemed to measure the same.

Up to the CR-820 the cases were vinyl imitation woodgrain, the CR-020 and CR-2020 were real wood veneer probabAustralian Walnut. The CR-3020 was Macassar Ebony veneer for which you would need to take out a second mortgage it is so expensive.

All the CR-n40s were vinyl except the CR-2040 which was a hand done lacquer imitation of Macassar Ebony done on very close grained plywood.

Back
Top Bottom