R-300 boo boo in shipping.

Locobreth

I just reciever a r-300 today that had a rough ride getting to pa from Colorado. The tuning knob turns but indicator does not wont tune. It's forever stuck at 90.1 fm. Can anyone tell me what I'm bound to find when I open it up. Never had this issue before. If I can have some idea what I may find and or how the mechanism works before I get into it I'm sure it will help. Thanx in advance.

I'm afraid that you are going to find that the tuning dial string has come loose from one of the pulley wheels or from the tuning dial/knob shaft itself, during the rough shipping the unit was subjected to. Maybe someone can direct you to a service manual that shows how to 're-install' the string. Not terribly complicated, but a good drawing or diagram really helps. Plus, you have to keep the front dial indicator 'calibrated' with the position of the ganged tuner capacitance plates when you do this procedure.

Your correct. The string was off two pulleys and was not winding on the tuning knob. Me being the genius that I am figured taking said string off everything and starting from scratch would be the best course. Umm now I have no clue how it goes back on. I'm gonna look around for a diagram. The amp has other issues too so I'm not sure if I'm gonna even bother. The only clean sound comes from the aux. phono and tuner are quiet and distorted. Not sure how much or how far I'm willing to go. I'm torn because the sound playing a cd through aux is incredible. Just volume on two is crisp clean and loud. Hate to trash it.

Sorry to hear that. From your testing so far, it would appear that the output stage of the audio amplifier is working great, in that a CD input signal into the AUX sounds 'incredible'. However, the fact that Phono and FM signals are quiet and distorted points to a pre-amp problem. I don't know how comfortable you are checking for bad transistor junctions, but that would be the next step as far as trouble-shooting goes. Much easier with a schematic, and very helpful if you have some electronics background. Did the seller say if this was a known good working receiver before he shipped it?

Your correct. The string was off two pulleys and was not winding on the tuning knob. Me being the genius that I am figured taking said string off everything and starting from scratch would be the best course. Umm now I have no clue how it goes back on. I'm gonna look around for a diagram. The amp has other issues too so I'm not sure if I'm gonna even bother. The only clean sound comes from the aux. phono and tuner are quiet and distorted. Not sure how much or how far I'm willing to go. I'm torn because the sound playing a cd through aux is incredible. Just volume on two is crisp clean and loud. Hate to trash it.

R300 Service manual

Page four shows sting diagram.

Back
Top Bottom