Repair shop in KC that does veneer?

jstewa77

Long story short, I need a radio shop that also does Macasaar ebony veneer in Kansas City.

Long story long:

UPS delivered my cr-3020 back in December and the driver thought it would be a good idea to carry it on his shoulder, then allow it to roll off and drop onto my porch.

Despite excellent packaging, 81 pounds from five feet landing on the rear of the unit did massive damage to the rear especialy, but also knocked the cabinet out of square and damaged the veneer severally.

UPS has been jacking me around for over a month, then finally agreed to pay my expense, not the value, which I had it insured for. (I had a good deal until their guy got ahold of it).

Now the 'claims revue' department wants me to get a written estimate of cost to repair before they will procede.

I usually use Electronic Center, but they don't do cosmetic work according to their webpage.

Search engines are giving me nothing.

It needs:
Re-veneer
tuner alignment
sheet metal straightening
the plastic do-hickies that apparently protect the rear of the unit so it can be stood on end.

I gave them links to sites to purchase the veneer, it is expensive. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• crushedcornrbroke.jpg
    crushedcornrbroke.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 52
  • rightrear.jpg
    rightrear.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 46
  • rrbottom.jpg
    rrbottom.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 46
  • rightfseperation.jpg
    rightfseperation.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 45
Look for a wood restoration shop-furniture restoration , no stereo shop I know of has wood workers on site, 2 different industries. You'll probably have to pull it from the case and bring it in.

That sucks, sorry bro.

What did you say to the UPS driver when you saw him do this? He must be pretty good size to hoist that up to his shoulder.

The crunching sound left me speechless.

I will find a furniture restoration shop, thank you for the tips everyone.

Look for a wood restoration shop-furniture restoration , no stereo shop I know of has wood workers on site, 2 different industries. You'll probably have to pull it from the case and bring it in.

That sucks, sorry bro.

Very true, good advice.

The crunching sound left me speechless.

I will find a furniture restoration shop, thank you for the tips everyone.

As for the electronics work, member EchoWars is in KC, you might have him look at it and give you an estimate.

I had intended to ask Echowars to add me to his waiting list for a complete check out. It was fully functional, and still works but anything that old could use his magic.

(with sheet metal removed to insure no short)

Very true, good advice.

As for the electronics work, member EchoWars is in KC, you might have him look at it and give you an estimate.

Can anyone recommend a KC area wood shop? Apparently none of the furnitute repair shops in KC answer phones or return voicemail.

Google and yahoo, when searching for Kansas city area repair, restoration, furniture, antiques and so on, are making so much money off of paid and fake links that out of the first 25 pages 25! There are only 3 in town. I also don't get why most of the links are to Germany, Australia, Iowa, Georgia etc. Using the city name in quotes and zip codes provides all this useless data.

Can anyone recommend a KC area wood shop? Apparently none of the furnitute repair shops in KC answer phones or return voicemail.

Google and yahoo, when searching for Kansas city area repair, restoration, furniture, antiques and so on, are making so much money off of paid and fake links that out of the first 25 pages 25! There are only 3 in town. I also don't get why most of the links are to Germany, Australia, Iowa, Georgia etc. Using the city name in quotes and zip codes provides all this useless data.

Wow, maybe actually have to turn to a local yellow pages phone book. Or possibly ask around at a Home Depot or Veneer supply house, somebody is buying the raw materials, so someone is doing stuff with it. Or look into Home Improvement magazines that may be locally published for posh areas. Or check with member Jaymannaa (or similar spelling, he's in KC).

Find a cabinet shop or architectural millwork company. Short of that perhaps you have a Woodcraft store near you- sometimes the guys that work there can be very helpful. There may be a retired gent nearby that could do this in a couple of hours. Squaring up the cabinet should not be a big deal and some boat-builders epoxy can be tinted with brown dye or pigment to help hide the repair.

I checked - Looks like there IS a Woodcraft store in KC. They do have Macassar ebony veneer (it's offered in the catalog anyway). If you're going to re-veneer I'd only do the top and sides.

Man, I feel for you. I keep hearing of damaged items more and more every week. All the while shipping costs are going through the roof. And for the rates UPS charge (almost double USPS), they should be embarrassed at the shitty service they provide. Pretty discouraging trend for the buyer/ sellers in this little niche. I'm afraid to ship anything anymore unless I know it will survive a 6 foot drop on all sides of the package. If you can't find anyone to do it locally, I may consider doing the veneer work if I'm not to busy in the near future.

Last edited:
You can pm me if you like- despite my best intentions, sometimes I have difficulty revisiting threads I've commented on. (I don't search on this site very well).
I used to be a cabinetmaker/furniture builder in a former life.

Thank you all for the help and offers.

What ups is requiring is an estimate from a bonafide repair shop on letterhead. If i cannot aquire this they will not pay the claim.

I was able to speak to a few shops today, but have yet to receive anything.

Dozens and dozens of phone calls and finally found a place that will give an estimate, for $185 (thats for the estimate, not the repair).

Back
Top Bottom