early 80s Yamaha R30 receiver

archeologist

I was given a Yamaha R30 receiver recently. It world but the volume knob is really loose and barely making a connection.

Does anybody know anything about these? Decent sound quality? I'm wondering if its worth the time to try to fix.

Ive restored plenty of old cars but never old electronics, and id love to learn. This might be a good first project to start with. Although I probably should have started with the massive old Sansui receiver we gave away a few years ago that had a hum.

Any instructions on how to repair or replace a wobbly knob that barely makes a connection? I will try to get a photo.

Thanks!

Pull the volume knob straight outward, to remove it from the volume potentiometer shaft. Once the knob is off, you will see a loose nut on the threaded portion of the shaft. Take a pliers (needle-nose works good) and snug the nut back up on the shaft. It will tighten up when you turn the nut clockwise when facing the front of the unit. Then replace the volume knob back on the shaft. The shaft end most likely will be keyed in the shape of a D, so keep that in mind when putting knob back on.

Thanks for the link to the OM, I'll definitely grab that.

I spun the volume a few times to try to clean it up, and it's working! Still has a little dirt in it I can tell, but it's working much better than the Pioneer sitting below it that I was using (has 3 bad channels I haven't diagnosed yet).

Here are some poor photos from my phone.

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

Here's my stash of free/garage sale receivers, sitting on my free sidewalk find Altec speaker. Only one unfortunately.

IMG_1443.JPG

Yay, now I can have music in stereo in my basement and garage. This helps offset the Pioneer I paid for at a garage sale with bad channels. That one is on the block for fixing too someday, if for no other reason just to learn how.

Thanks!
Ian

Back
Top Bottom