Headphone Jack, Power Amp of CA-600

sreidvt

Headphone Jack Output from Power Amp of CA-600

First post...Hi all.

I just bought a (hopefully) refurbished Yamaha CA-600 on E=Bay. Not a bargain price but if the restoration work was good it seems like a fair deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150988847147&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

Question:

I'd like to use it in split mode (I'll note reasons later if anyone is interested). Does anyone know if the unit's headphone jack works when it is serving as a power amp?

Thanks

Last edited:
First post...Hi all.

I just bought a (hopefully) refurbished Yamaha CA-600 on E=Bay. Not a bargain price but if the restoration work was good it seems like a fair deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150988847147&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

Question:

I'd like to use it in split mode (I'll note reasons later if anyone is interested). Does anyone know if the unit's headphone jack works when it is serving as a power amp?

Thanks

It should..

Thanks for the reply. Do you have one of the CA amps by any chance? Has anyone tried this with a CA-600, CA-800, etc?

I have a CA-800. And have repaired and/or refurbed countless other CA-xxx,CA-xxxx models.

I have a CA-800. And have repaired and/or refurbed countless other CA-xxx,CA-xxxx models.

Excellent. Thanks again.

I'm just now getting back into audio. When I was 13 in 1979 I bought a new CR-220, Yamaha YP-B2 turntable and used Cizek II speakers. I still have them all but the CR-220 seems to have lost the right channel of the aux input. I imagine that might be typical and not so hard to fix. It does output both channels from the turntable.

My main sources are Apple lossless files on an iPod Classic but I'm also starting to listen to records again. I recently bought an Onkyo 8050 receiver which bypasses the DAC in the iPod so that I'm essentially working with CD-like files in another form. The Onkyo's actually pretty good but the phono preamp in my CR220 is better than the one in the 8050 so I've been doing this:

YB-B2 > CR220 > Tape Out > Onkyo > speakers

-----------

The Onkyo, by design, doesn't send headphone output with an iPod coming in (maybe this is an Apple licensing thing?). My thought was to split the CA-600 and do this:

iPod > Onkyo > Onkyo pre-amp out > CA-600 power amp in > headphones

Turntable > CA-600 Phono in > pre-amp out > Onkyo's aux in > speakers

If this works as planned I should have a good set up for headphones. I'll then need to listen to see whether the Onkyo or the CA-600 does a better job with the speakers. I imagine the Yamaha would be better but the Onkyo's output is good. The speakers I'm using in this system are Advent Laureates (with woofers all sorted).

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. This seems like a great forum. I just started posting but I've been reading threads here for a couple of weeks now.

Last edited:
still have them all but the CR-220 seems to have lost the right channel of the aux input
Dirty input select switch or a broken connection on the AUX RCA jack.

iPod > Onkyo > Onkyo pre-amp out > CA-600 power amp in > headphones

Turntable > CA-600 Phono in > pre-amp out > Onkyo's aux in > speakers
Problem... Onkyo's "aux in" goes out through the Onkies pre-amp out.Be best to use
Turntable > CA-600 Phono in > pre-amp out > Onkyo's Main-in> speakers

Last edited:
I have a CA-800 and a CA-600. There's no separate Head amp, it's really just treated as another set of speakers on the speaker selector. Can't remember if they're paralled or in series though.

I have a CA-800 and a CA-600. There's no separate Head amp, it's really just treated as another set of speakers on the speaker selector. Can't remember if they're paralled or in series though.

Paralleled..

Problem... Onkyo's "aux in" goes out through the Onkies pre-amp out.Be best to use

You're right, of course, but unfortunately the Onkyo isn't fully splittable to the best of my knowledge. There's a pre-amp out but not a main in. At least the turntable won't be double pre-amped in the usual sense.

That said, the turntable > CR220 phono > CR220 tape out > Onkyo aux in > speakers sounds very good.

For now, it looks like the CA-600 will serve as a phono pre-amplfier (bypassing the Yamaha's tone controls etc. via tape out) and a power amp for the headphones and maybe the speakers.

Thanks a lot for the help folks. Again, great forum.

Last edited:
Dirty input select switch or a broken connection on the AUX RCA jack.

I wonder if the solution could be as simple as working the switch for awhile. There's a very faint signal coming through on the right but I don't know if it is real or channel bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom