AKFest 2012 SMAC Room System

jmathers

Time to start assembling our SMAC room system for this year.

As I mentioned, I'd like to get a system together BEFORE the actual Fest and test it out this year. That way we can make changes before we haul everything to the site.

It'll also enable us to have a system that folks can count on being set up and playing music rather than a constantly changing collection of gear.

Last time, with all the gear swapping, some folks complained when the system they brought back friends to hear had morphed into something entirely different.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be able to make changes there; just that the MAIN system should be the bones of any future system.

And it should have a characteristic sound. All the more reason to set this up early and give everyone that wants to participate a listen.

Main core system listened to and approved 3/25/2012

CART
Dennis

SPEAKERS
Bob's Gold-cones
Dennis' Edgarhorns

AMPLIFICATION
6CB5A amps - Pak

PREAMP
AES/Cary AE3 (6SN7, linestage only) - Jeff
DIY Linestage - Pak

PHONO AMP
Jolida JD9 (modded)- Jeff

TUNER
NEC T-710 - Scott

TURNTABLE
Lenco B51, Shure M97xe - Jeff
Ortofon 2M Bronze - Rob

CDP or OTHER DIGITAL SOURCE
Furutech GT40 USB Dac and phono - Mike
Arcam CD82 - Dave
Pioneer ELITE 79Avi - Scott

POWER CONDITIONING
Denny's bullet proof power conditioner

CABLES
Todd
Rob
Jeff
Dave
Krikor (Craig)

ROOM TREATMENTS
Krikor (Craig) - Room Tune Panels

RACK
Uroford (Steve)
Joe

ROOM DECOR
Fluorescent posters (framed) for a retro hippie 70's thing - Bob
Blacklites, a lava lamp, maybe beads for the door way, an oriental rug - Rob
HY69 Nite Light - George
50s RCA glasses -DC

MUSIC
Don't forget to bring some music to stay in the room!!!!!
Jeff Box o' LPs
Jeff CDs

Last edited:
I have my Edgarhorns with the big Heils that were on my tall JBL scoops but now are on front loaded bass horns. The foot print for the horns is 2' x 2.5' and the Edgarhorns are at eye level.

I have my Edgarhorns with the big Heils that were on my tall JBL scoops but now are on front loaded bass horns. The foot print for the horns is 2' x 2.5' and the Edgarhorns are at eye level.

Now we're talkin'.....:thmbsp: Newman won't dare come near us.

Last edited:
I am afraid I can only support the system by sending a cheque (which is in the mail) to support the room. :)

Maybe I'll try to get some tunes together to bring or something ... and Cognac.

Do these require that we use multiple amps?

Jeff

Whoa, what kind of Cognac? Wait, this is supposed to be about equipment. Sorry. I have a Balveinie at about 97 dB sensitivity.

I will have my newest speaker project ready soon using a ribbon tweeter 5" mid and 10" subwoofer designed by Dave Clark for Chrysler going through a short transmission line to a 12" passive radiator. This is working out to be better than the system I had at the last show having a little more detail due to the ribbon. A 60 watt tube amp will fill a large room well. Chrysler had to stop use of the woofer for production due to the prototype builds panels buzzing too much.

I will have my newest speaker project ready soon using a ribbon tweeter 5" mid and 10" subwoofer designed by Dave Clark for Chrysler going through a short transmission line to a 12" passive radiator. This is working out to be better than the system I had at the last show having a little more detail due to the ribbon. A 60 watt tube amp will fill a large room well. Chrysler had to stop use of the woofer for production due to the prototype builds panels buzzing too much.

Sounds interesting......when will they be ready? Keep in mind we want to listen to our options well before the Fest.

Jeff

Hey Bell, is your sub(s) stand alone? I am bringing 2 subs with me as my midbass horns only go down to 100hz.

Jeff, how are we doing the pre listening? Do we have to bring everything down to the hotel weeks before the fest, or are you coming over? If you are coming over you can help me set up my Marble turntable:D

Jeff, how are we doing the pre listening? Do we have to bring everything down to the hotel weeks before the fest, or are you coming over? If you are coming over you can help me set up my Marble turntable:D

I was thinking we could arrange an informal listening somewhere - since your speaks are so damn big it'd be easier if I just come over.....as well as any other interested parties?

Does this mean we have decided on your speakers? I haven't seen anyone the least bit interested in the room setup besides you, me and Bob. Looks like we may have the run of the place ourselves.:sigh:

Jeff

I am planning on bringing them, so I'm in. I am sure others will start stopping by as time goes by. The fest is a ways off, but best to start planning now. I am getting ready to have the midbass horns painted with auto flip-flop red/purple. I have to sculpt legs for then too. I will have that all done by the end of the month.

I haven't seen anyone the least bit interested in the room setup besides you, me and Bob. Looks like we may have the run of the place ourselves.:sigh:

Maybe I should send some stuff over from Massachusetts. :D

My Keces DAC 131.1 is available if there is any interest, and you guys can ship it back within a reasonable amount of time after the AK Fest. It is a few years old, but a solid performer.

Hi Ashok. I hope the east coast is treating you well. Will you fly back for the fest?

I now have a job!!! So it will take a couple weekends to finish up. They are ready for listening but I need to take them out for a different acoustic environment to tweek to the best compromise in various conditions. They are my traveling pair and need to work everywhere. When is the next meeting? I will be there.

Hi Ashok. I hope the east coast is treating you well. Will you fly back for the fest?

So far so good Dennis. Unlikely I will fly back for the fest unless I can swing a business trip to AA during that time.

I think this thread will start heating up once we get to amplifiers and preamps.

Back
Top Bottom