Yamaha MX-1000 and CX-1000

Regarding the DAC of the CX-1000; it uses the same DAC as the CDX-1110 ( 2 x PCM56P-K and the YM3414 filter), and it sounds quite good.

Thanks for the suggestion pfcs49. I sold the matching TX-930 and don't listen to the radio much on my stereo system. I'm currently using a Denon TU-1500RD with the RDS readout and it works fine. I'll be selling my Sansui TU-9900 in the near future, mainly because it's going to waste in my system.

TRM, thanks for the info. I've been reading up on the 1110 in this thread and people like the sound of it. So far I'm enjoying it more than I expected but it does not sound as good as my CA DACMagic. But it's close and maybe close enough. Anyone else have any comparisons with the DAC in the CX-1000?

I've done a direct comparison with my Rega Planet and was surprised to find that the CX-1000's DAC sounded better. It's really a pretty nice DAC, and will hold its own against newer gear.

Anyone have an opinion on the DAC in the CX-1000? I'm loaning my Cambridge Audio DacMagic to a friend for a week and will be using the DAC in the Yamaha during that time.

The sound I heard after hooking up my digital outputs into the CX-1000 was equal to the best I have ever experienced. For me, the CX-1000 DACs are excellent.

I thought I'd pass along my impressions on the DAC in the CX-1000. I loaned my Cambridge Audio DacMagic to a friend so he could test it out in his system. My initial thought on the CX was it was not as good as the DM. But after listening to it for a couple of weeks I began to like it more. Then I got my DM back and it took about 10 seconds to realize my initial impression was correct: the DAC in the DM sounds better to my ears. The DAC in the CX is very good but it's tough to keep up with technology almost 20 years newer. The biggest difference was in the sound stage and imaging.

My impressions of the PCM56's in my CDX-1100U are similar to yours when compared to my 1998 Sony CDP-XA7ES. I could say the Yamaha sounds a little more "analog" and takes the edge off of shiny sounding CD's.

Love this thread, I bought a CX-1000 about five years ago and love it, it's fun to watch someone else go through the same discovery!

Very interesting to see your comparison against the Cambridge DAC. I use the Yamaha's internal dac and have been quite happy with it but it has become wonky in the last few weeks and sometimes does not function (just the dac section that is). I've been wondering if i should get it fixed or try a new DAC.

Love this thread, I bought a CX-1000 about five years ago and love it, it's fun to watch someone else go through the same discovery!

Very interesting to see your comparison against the Cambridge DAC. I use the Yamaha's internal dac and have been quite happy with it but it has become wonky in the last few weeks and sometimes does not function (just the dac section that is). I've been wondering if i should get it fixed or try a new DAC.
The toslink inputs were not very tight on my CX and would drop out on occasion. Maybe a better quality cable would help.

Welcome to AK. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom