What amp to choose for DCM TF-400

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, I think I might have repaired my blown tweeter in my DCM TF-400 speaker. It was damaged when my Fisher CA-880 amp fried and sent a jolt into the one speaker. Replaced the tweeter and I'm ready to try it.
I have at my disposal a Yamaha R-V98, a Sony STR-DE595 and a Onkyo M-5140 with the P-3160 preamp.
The DCM speakers are rated at 6 ohm nominal impedence and I think that's what fried the Fisher amp. I know I need something better than what I have but for now, is there something in that collection that will get me by?
Thanks

BillWojo

Well I'm still looking for a better amp but I looked up all the specs on the 3 units above. The Onkyo I could find nothing about. The Sony and Yamaha, I found the spec sheets on there website. The Yamaha list nothing but specs for 8 ohm output. The Sony list the output as follows.
"Dynamic power per channel 8/6/4/2 ohms @ 100/140/190/220Watts"
This is measured by "IHF Dynamic Headroom measuring methode" whatever that means. Elsewhere it states that the front channels are rated at 80W each at 8ohms and 1KHZ with 0.009% THD. On the Canadian model it's rated at 55W/channel @ 20Hz to 20Khz with THD at 0.04%. I guess Canada has truth in advertising laws.
Anyway, I guess my question is can I play these fairly loud without worry? My last amp blew the outputs and fried a tweeter on my DCM TF400. I have them hooked up to DCM TF600 now. The DCM speakers are rated for 6ohm nominal input.
I don't want to damage these speakers. The last amp I was using was a Fisher CA-880 and that had the STK0080 output modules. I noticed this Sony uses discrete components. After playing at moderate volume for about a half an hour I can feel that the heatsinks are getting warm. Can't actually touch them, but I feel the warmth through the vents.
Thanks

BillWojo

Having just read the previous post, I have to say I am surprised to read that your Onk is only rated at 8 ohm only. I rescind my previous post. You can however obtain a Niles, or other good quality, speaker selector which will keep your load at 8 ohms. I would still go with the Onkyo.

Back
Top Bottom