RIAA phone amp differential transistor selection

gslikker

EDIT: of course I meant Phono amp, not phone amp.....

For my Pioneer SA8100 update, which amp is into pieces right now, I have the possibility of replacing the phono amp transistors also.

Looking for lowest noise, I wonder if anybody has experience with transistor selection for this and IF replacing the current ones would get me anything.

The differential pair is now 2SA774.
Other possible transistors I have:
BC560C
2SA970
BC415 or BC416 (not enough to make pairs, just a few, I am even unable to find them at the moment..)
2SA992 (I use almost any other place as a general pupose transistor)

Note, the current through the transistors is only about 60 microamps, and I have no turntable to test the result with a connected cartridge.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
2SA999L NOS

But the 89 Japanese sub manual says any of these are good subs 2SA930,1015,578,844,1127,999L,933....

Many of these are not in production but i believe 1015,930 and 933 are. I used the 1015 for a lot of repairs but the 999 is a low noise type. also there is a 1015L which is a low noise type also. The 999L is the lowest of them all.

Thanks for your input guys.
In the end I just put in the BC560C anyway, since my 2SA970 appeared to be GR type and from different brands.
A999 I have salvaged parts only, and could not find any moise figures except a less good one.
the BC560C I measured were all around 590 with only a max difference of 12.

Here I find some disadvantage of my Peak semiconductor tester, is does not allow me to set a current to be able to measure at a certain current only. I can set the base current as a reference but not collector current on the pc application.

Back
Top Bottom