Cambridge A500 that just threw a rod

02County

AK Member
Recently back into having a stereo around and pulled my old Cambridge A500 out of storage. Had bad capacitors so I replaced those - four big ones on each channel. Thing seemed to play great running small Micca MB42 bookshelf speakers, 4-8ohms. So I then went out and bought some Knight 2350A fixer uppers (8ohms). Was running them this morning and trying to figure out why the tweeters weren't working so well and had the volume up rather high. Had it going 15minutes, maybe, doing some cleaning, Saturday morning stuff.

The receiver then emitted a loud pop, the left channel disappeared, and the odor of fried electronics filled the air. Opening it up, looks like a small cap in the left channel, near the variable transitor/fillpot, basically exploded. LIke, not just tenting or leaking crude, but little fried shreds all around. I only know it was a cap by comparing the crater on the left side with what's on the right.

Everything I've read online seems to suggest that Cambridge amps are fine if played at low volume but apparently lack the heatsink for playing loud music? I honestly didn't think it was THAT loud or playing for THAT long. Now trying to decide if I just need a new amp?

Attachments

• Bad Cap.jpg
    Bad Cap.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom