SX-1250 tuning string is broken

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
Just picked up a real nice SX-1250 for a song, had to drive 35 miles but it seems like it was well worth it. Only issues I have found is the tuning string, and am antenna bracket is broken.

Anyone have experience repairing the string, or can give advice on the repair?

I have a service manual that I believe shows the string pattern as to how to restring it... I'll look and see.
Good luck!! Stringing can be a real B####

Last edited:
Ouch, three of the big filter caps have leaked, I guess this is a great unit for me to dig into and do my first recap. It is in very good physical condition though, well worth the effort. Took the face plate off and cleaned the glass, I also have the knobs soaking in somee warm water with Dawn dish soap added. I tried to tie the string but it broke in another spot, it is very dry and brittle, a new string is needed. I deoxed all the connectors, and controls, other than leaky can caps it looks very clean inside.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 42
Could be a little frustrating with a new 'dial cord'. Sticky tape helps to lay the cord up in the pulleys and tack here and there. A long pair of angled end tweezers are well worth the purchase about 9".. an extra finger can eliminate a lot of frustration, too. :D

Might post on the Pan. forum for tone control caps while you're at it but if it sounds okay.. just replace the blown ones first (all of them), might just beef up the amp performance. If ps caps a DBT might be a good idea.

Have read a lot of users on this amp and all seem satisfied to repair.

Could be a little frustrating with a new 'dial cord'. Sticky tape helps to lay the cord up in the pulleys and tack here and there. A long pair of angled end tweezers are well worth the purchase about 9".. an extra finger can eliminate a lot of frustration, too. :D

Might post on the Pan. forum for tone control caps while you're at it but if it sounds okay.. just replace the blown ones first (all of them), might just beef up the amp performance. If ps caps a DBT might be a good idea.

Have read a lot of users on this amp and all seem satisfied to repair.

Yeah, I will probably try to do a major recap, I have come a long way with my skills and can see the 1250 layout is easier than most. I will have to get an up to date parts list, already found the filter caps.

get some pictures and draw diagrams of the cord whilst its still intact enough to make sense of it .

I recently had to restring a 1250 and went to the local tackle shop and bought 30 pound test trolling and surfing line. Labeled Braided Dacron Polyester, Great Water IGFA class by Mason. Its a 300 yard roll, probably good enough for 100+ restringing jobs.

The string looks and feels nearly same as the original.

Last edited:
Restringing is a bit of a PITA the first time, but gets easy with practice. The thin (0.9 mm) window blind cord is a close match for many units. The above line sounds good too. Whatever you use, it should not be at all stretchy. Be careful with the plastic pulleys as some can get fragile with age. There will be a spring inside the main tuner pulley and that needs to be tensioned slightly. Be sure it's not solid (no tension) but not over tensioned. There is usually a linear scale on the tuner dial and (check the service manual) the dial pointer should align with zero when the tuner is fully closed. Don't lube plastic pulleys unless the manual specifically says to do so (never seen it).

Great information everyone :thmbsp:, just what I was looking for. The string will probably be the easy part, I think I will recap the amp boards and the main filter caps first, then the preamp section last. I'm sure I will have lots of questions along the way. I will dig into other threads to get a parts list, should be a fun and very good learning experience.

I have a ton of dial cord used by Electrovoice for their receivers in the early 70's, but the lengths are pre-cut, and i don't think they will be long enough for the 1250. I will look and see though. If not, I agree that braided fishing line is a good substitute.

I checked it out. The dial cord lengths are actually about 6 foot each. Probably more than long enough for the 1250. As I have probably 500-1000 or more lengths, you can have 2 or 3 if you want.
Tom

I checked it out. The dial cord lengths are actually about 6 foot each. Probably more than long enough for the 1250. As I have probably 500-1000 or more lengths, you can have 2 or 3 if you want.
Tom

Thanks Tom, PM sent.

3 lengths of original electro voice dial cord in an envelope to go out in the mail tomorrow morning

Thanks Tom, the string was just a little short but I tied two together, then glued the knot so it is permanent. It took some doing, but now the dial is working perfect. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom