Your Top Choice Combo: Source/Preamp/Poweramp/Speakers

Gary D Olson

Skilled Tightwad
Greetings.

If you suddenly had no audio gear, which components would you choose for your next dedicated 2-channel music-listening system with a priority on sonic synergy? Please approximate the dimensions of your listening space.

As for mine - in flux; hence the query. I've been considering changing my signature system as I may be moving it to a different & much smaller space in the house. If so, a change of speakers may be necessary. If I had to choose everything this moment, it might look something like this:

Source:
Marantz CD6004 CD player (current)
Laptop with flac files & JRiver Media Center (current)

DAC: Schiit Bifrost with USB option
Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
Power amp: Adcom GFA-545II or Adcom GFA-555II (depending on availability/cost)
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20
Cabling: Audioquest & Kimber

Thanks.

Gary

Last edited:
Well? for me the source would be a Conrad Johnson DF1. For a preamp? the HH Scott 355 tuner preamp. As for a power amp, either an Audio Aero Capitole stereo power amp or a McIntosh MC2102. For a turntable, a Rega Planar 3. All connected together with DH Labs cables.
For a small bedroom system, I'd use a Marantz DV4001 for CD's, and an old Rega Mira integrated amp. The little Rega Mira is one of the sweetest sounding smaller integrated amps I have ever heard.
As for speakers, JBL 4411's or any of the "is" series of Mirage speakers, like the 290is.

Seriously?
Buy a NAD Integrated (newest one you can afford) and a pair of PSB or Paradigm bookshelf speakers. And never have to give it a hindsight thought.
Keep the cables, Not because they have any intrinsic advantages :) but because you've already paid for them

Seriously?
Buy a NAD Integrated (newest one you can afford) and a pair of PSB or Paradigm bookshelf speakers. And never have to give it a hindsight thought.
Keep the cables, Not because they have any intrinsic advantages :) but because you've already paid for them

IMHO, I think your system is off to a good start. I've always liked NAD & love both PSB & Paradigm.

Back
Top Bottom