I want to Cry...!!!

Agree - if the original drivers had failed, then replacement would be unlikely these days.

A similar thing happens with cars, people customize and modify slightly older cars; then years later discover that they had ruined what would have been more valuable if left in original state.

Well maybe ... But cars have to include insurance and storage/maintenance in the long term value calc's - and it usually does not work out. And, at the time of modification, the value is not there - they're just another used car ...

If Wisdom or Dr Marksey did these, I'd like to hear them. They may be quite stunning :)

Two of my four pairs of Infinities are mod'd. They arrived not working/missing parts and got rebuilt by me into something useful.

My RS-3000's (HKM Woof's) are not for sale at any human price because - I can't replace them as that drive is no longer available either :( And they are killer fine sounding for little two-ways :D

Infinity certainly didn't go crazy on the types of capacitors they used. My RS-IIIa's had a 10uf + 6uf on one side and a 16uf cap on the other. Nothing wrong with it, but it kinda seems like they just grabbed whatever they had to match the crossover specs though. I wouldn't hold Infinity as some gold standard for crossover components and I certainly am not shy or afraid of swapping the x-over components out for better ones. It can only make the sound better, especially after 30 years. I definitely wouldn't be swapping out drivers if the stock ones were fine though.

If those mods were cleaned up, hiding the ugly screws and making it all look stock it would be much nicer. It really does have a franken look with how they are. I mean like $10 of foam tape would clear them up.

Back
Top Bottom