Trying to find suitable RS-4000A replacement woofers

Ahhh, I see. So there were SS-4000s and RS-4000s? I see yours do in fact use a different but similar Emit. Mine use the Emit K and they don't have a port in the rear. So you are saying the RS-4000 doesn't need bracing? Just the SS series. I read somewhere the the RS-4000As do in fact benefit from bracing as well. Wonder if I am confused.

The pics I posted here are from my RS4000- these have the clear/poly cone drivers. I am not sure if they are A's or not. Perhaps the A was an update and had a different / updated/ upgraded Emit-K..I am not sure.I had read that the Emits could be easily damaged if mis-handled , but that the ribbon which I suppose is not unlike those old ribbon microphones really produce a nice sound.
It is likely that almost any speaker would benefit to some degree from added bracing. I think it really has a lot to do with how hard they are driven.
You can find threads on here where folks have modded speakers in all kinds of ways. I have no plans on beefing up the bracing on the RS4000's.
My RS4000's do not have a rear port.

A previous project ( That I braced and beefed up the refoam on) was an SS2005 model.(Not SS4000, sorry about that) These were black, similar to the RS but have polycell tweeters (No Emits) and Injection Molded Graphite (IMG) ( black ) drivers. They have the rear firing port.
Those were I believe store brand from Pacific Stereo or Circuit City and are not well regarded by many unless they get the modifications to calm down the bass / distortion when driven hard, which I did. I picked them up to experiment on them and they also work fine for their place in the scheme of things. The RS4000 is for sure superior to the SS2005 model.

I had posted a part number for woofers that I had read could be used as replacements for the RS4000(A) and those are used in the SS2005 model,as well as others.

Here is a thread on my refoam job of those -

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446175&highlight=ss2005

Gotcha. I understand now. Yes, your pictured ones are RS-4000s. I have the RS-4000As. Difference looks to be the Emit K.

Wow, I got and installed the original refoamed woofers this morning. Bass is something the RS-4000As are not short on. I think I have understimated Infinity speakers all these years. Let me put it that way. These perform way above their appearance. And I haven't even added any bracing... yet. And I will. I am running them off a laptop (no external DAC) with a custom tube pre and a TPA3110 chip amp. About 4 watts. No lack of punch at all. I have the tweeter level at about 10:00. They sound nice there, not too saturated or sizzly. Took a pic with the grills off. This is like my 4th or 5th sytem I think.:D

Attachments

• P1040252.jpg
    P1040252.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 24
  • P1040253.jpg
    P1040253.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Damn, these keep sounding better. I pulled them away from the wall about a foot. With tweeters at 10:00, these are so natural and balanced. I am not wishing for anything to be different. It seems they do almost everything right suprisingly. At least in this setup. I would have never thought.. but I'm sorry these are sleepers. Too bad they opted for vinyl veneer and cheap speaker connectors. These definitely deserve better. Shame on you Infinity. But at the same time, good on you for offering such an incredible monitor for peanuts. For their size, these put the L100Ts they were built to compete against to shame. The top end is so much more balanced. I've always liked JBL bass though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom