RS 2.5 room size and listening distance

flyers13

I have two choices for a dedicated stereo room for my RS 2.5 speakers. Both are smaller than I would like, but the smaller room lends itself better for placement of room treatments. The smaller room is 11' wide by 13.42' long by 8' high. The larger room is 11.5' wide by 16.17' long by 8' high (length basically double the height, so not great there). So, those of you who have 2.5's, what size room are you using, what distance between your speakers (and from speakers to listening position), and how does your setup sound? The rest of my setup will be Mac Mini as music server with an external 1TB Glyph hard drive using Audioquest Cinnamon Firewire 800, and from Mac Mini an Audioquest Cinnamon USB DAC cable to an Oppo HA-1. For now, amp is an Anthem A5 which I will need to lug back and forth until I come up with something else. Cables from Oppo to amp are balanced Audioquest King Cobra. I do not have the active crossovers for the 2.5's, so for now no bi-amping. As some of this equipment is new, I haven't had a chance to set it up and listen yet, therefore I'd love some input from here. Thanks!

I'd take the bigger of the two rooms.
Put them on the short wall with listening position forming the apex of a symetrical triangle or two feet off the side walls and 5+ feet off the front wall.

Thanks, tubed! I also was thinking the larger room with 1.5 to 2 feet off the side walls (7.5 to 8 feet separation), and 4 to 5 feet off front wall. One other thing I wanted to ask...since the mids and highs on these speakers are dipole, does anyone use room treatment on the side walls? In theory with dipoles there should be little signal emanating from the sides because of the nulls that are created. Therefore I would assume that I'd want some kind of diffusion on the front walls, and maybe some bass traps in the corners?

My listening room is 20 ft. deep by 18 ft. wide and has a vaulted ceiling that goes from 8 ft. to 12 ft. high. Its part of an open area that also houses the kitchen and dining room which is nearly the same amount of square footage. I can sit at the far end of the dining room which is almost 20 feet from the closest speaker and the sound comes through so clearly. With there being a lot of odd angled walls and the vaulted ceiling in the area I don't have a noticeable bouncing around of the sound. It sounds good throughout the entire open area of the house.

I have my 2.5s spaced 8 feet apart facing directly forward, no toe-in. I triangulate my listening spot which is usually 6 to 10 feet back from the front plane of the speakers. Having the speakers facing directly forward I seem to get a larger soundstage. Right now I only have the 2.5s pulled about a foot away from the wall.

I would go with the larger room first. If I had the option of two rooms, then I would actually try them both. It could be that the smaller room is more isolated and has less distractions or that the construction of the room causes less bass boom or something sonically beneficial.

My listening room sounds great, but it is the main living room and it is usually an area with distractions and noise. I'm glad the other people living here can sleep while I'm playing music. I'm also glad my new amp sounds so good when I'm playing it at lower levels.

Larry D.

Back
Top Bottom