I want to Cry...!!!

StimpyWan

Addicted Member
I just saw 'these' on US Audio Mart. They're 'upgraded' (and definitely not mine)...!

783106-rare-awesome-infinity-rs1b-4-column-highend-speaker-system.jpg

While I can agree with some of the statements that the seller makes, I still cringe when I see this type of drastic change.
I don't mind Frankenspeakers, and in fact, I find many very ingenious, but is this really an improvement? An update, upgrade?
Or, just different?

Oh well, too rich for me anyway, and I'm glad!

Looks like a Michael Marks project...

+1 :thmbsp:

Also, while I know the BG drivers have decent frequency response,
why remove all of the Emits? Why not use them for super tweeters,
firing front and rear? Too many back-seat engineers, IMO. Nothing
wrong with Arnie's original design(s), other than lack of spare parts
now! :tears:

While I can agree with some of the statements that the seller makes, I still cringe when I see this type of drastic change.
I don't mind Frankenspeakers, and in fact, I find many very ingenious, but is this really an improvement? An update, upgrade?
Or, just different?

At least it's not someone in the AK Infinity group showing us as he works on the changes.

You could give the seller the benefit of the doubt, assume he had a bunch of fried EMIMs and decided repairs or replacements were out of the question.

It certainly looks as if it could be some of Michael Marks' handiwork. Is he the seller? He still periodically tries to move some of his overpriced collection in auction land.

Pretty cool and what they've done here is a similar path to what I'd absolutely follow if I had the RS1B woofer towers w/drivers but no EMIMs or a mess of them that had to be replaced. However, I think at the asking price of just a few hundred shy of $5K it's a bonafide rip off. That mid/high planar driver is the Bohlender Graebener RD40 and can be had from Parts Express wholesale for $375/ea.....so the seller probably has $750 tied up in the mid/high tower drivers. Now, if I were doing this to build a pair of keepers I'd go for the RD50 and keep the EMITs in the design, but I think what we see here is an attempt to maximize profit. Do a little quick math and you'll realize that's $4K for a pair of woofer towers with refurbished drivers and an active crossover. Maybe one of those suckers that's born every minute will come along and take the bait. Sure as hell won't be me.

That's what I was thinking.
Tried but could not find the listing.

Just go to USAudioMart and search Infinity....it' was the second listing when I did that.

And check out the killer deal on the minty QLS-1's while you're there. Anyone in the midwest should take note.

.....so the seller probably has $750 tied up in the mid/high tower drivers.

Actually, it's probably a little more than that. To use these drivers (RD40, 48, 50, 75) up in the high frequencies, you have to include the passive series notch filter to correct the cavity resonance. So don't forget that cost as well.
Just sayin'.

G~

I'm just curious....has anyone actually HEARD an RD line source used as a mid/tweet element? I'm asking because I have, and were I to criticize the design in question, at least I would have some experience to base that criticism on.

The application I've heard used an RD 75 in open baffle, same one that the big Genesis 1.2 uses for the midrange.

G~

That was a 'pro' job done at some point by this place.

http://www.wisdomaudio.com/

The 'Adrenaline Active Brain Controller' is rebranded Marchand crossover. Nothing wrong with that. The 1b were considered 'vintage' when the work was done. Have to wonder about the total actual value. Part of it had to be a perceived prestige of the upgrade.

The seller addresses purists' perceived heresy of modifying the speakers (blah, yadda). Anyone know anything about Wisdom Audio, current products and their modified products or services?

It's worth the effort to look up the listing as tomlinmgt mentioned above. Might be better than you'd want to expect. :dunno: It's still heresy AFAIC, but I'd put more faith and consideration into this system than anything extruded (pooped out) by Michael Marks. Hope it doesn't turn out Marks works for Wisdom Audio. :no:

Just go to USAudioMart and search Infinity....it' was the second listing when I did that.

And check out the killer deal on the minty QLS-1's while you're there. Anyone in the midwest should take note.

Yup, you are right.
Odd how I couldn't find it yesterday.
Based on the seller location it's not a Magic Marksy project, but newk-yuler already cleared that up as well as the photos in the ad.

Wisdom Audio has been around for a long time. They have produced some very high end speakers in the past, and currently have some high-end line arrays. The last time I heard one of their products, David Graebener (of B-G) was on hand to explain the technology. So, he's obviously involved with the company on some level.

These are in my backyard and also on the local craigslist. I spoke with the guy that is selling them for the owner and he claims to be an audio dealer although from our short discussion I question that.

They are "qualifying" callers so that not just any old Tom, Dick or Harry comes over to listen to them. As curious as I was to hear them I have no real interest in buying them so I decided not to waste their time.

If anyone is genuinely interested in these though they are literally 5 miles from my house so I could check them out. Just to be clear, I myself have no affiliation with this sale.

Just to help, here's the sellers original description:

"This system does not come up on the used market often and for those of you who know, this is a famous and rare speaker system coveted by those that want a high degree of accuracy, musicality and bass dynamics. Consists of 4 towers - two planar line sources and two consisting of 6 - 8 inch woofers per column side.

This system is in perfect operating condition and has gone through an extensive/expensive upgrade by Wisdom Audio consisting of a full planar line source upgrade and complete re-build of all 8 inch drivers - this includes a Wisdom Adrenaline Active x-over -processor. Comes with MIT speaker cable.

Does everything incredibly well and easily out performs any current speaker system at the same price or much higher. This is a perfect example of a classic high end speaker design that was far ahead of its time. For some purists this upgrade may seem like heresy but in real terms the upgrading of a known good product is commonplace in the world of high-end audio whether for speakers or electronics and should not be looked at as a negative especially considering the reliability and performance. Buying a stock product has its romanticism but when the drivers fail after all these years, and at some point they will, the ability of repair to factory spec is near impossible as parts or factory support is non-existent.

These are around 400 lbs for the set. - Shipping is negotiable depending on sale price".

I just saw 'these' on US Audio Mart. They're 'upgraded' (and definitely not mine)...!

View attachment 528959

Or, just different?

Oh well, too rich for me anyway, and I'm glad!

It certainly looks as if it could be some of Michael Marks' handiwork. Is he the seller? He still periodically tries to move some of his overpriced collection in auction land.

In defense of Dr Marks, he operates out of Clarksville, TN. This seller is in Arizona.

Also, if I had RS-1Bs, with Emim issues, I'd probably use a BG line array driver as a replacement too. Or, more likely Monsoon Neo planar mids, like the Magic Marksy uses. Nothing wrong with either of these. But, I hate the redesign that many speakers go through. Arnie designed a collapsing line-source alignment for the 1Bs, that worked. Monsoon mids could have been swapped in with very little change. So, why redesign the wheel? These makes sense to me, the earlier mod does not:

IRS $(KGrHqNHJCUE9rDJQrfhBPkvbkvKPw~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!jQE2IcVvDWuBNj6DD0iq!~~_12.JPG

And speaking of Dr Marks, do an eBay search on his latest offering; modded Beta's!!! :sigh: If you dare!!! :no:
CLOSE YOUR EYES!
BETA $_57.jpg
Blink your eyes a few times, and hopefully that mental image will go away! :yes:

Last edited:
Is this "Dr. Marks" Magicmarksey on Ebay? He has several very high-end Infinity speakers that have been "modded". He also is selling many EMITs and a few EMIMs at (what I consider to be) very high prices, maybe they are the leftovers from these modifications.

Is this "Dr. Marks" Magicmarksey on Ebay? He has several very high-end Infinity speakers that have been "modded". He also is selling many EMITs and a few EMIMs at (what I consider to be) very high prices, maybe they are the leftovers from these modifications.

AK Member "Dr. Marks" Magicmarksey does sell on eBay. But the speakers in my original post are not his. That seller is in Arizona, and he had Wisdom Audio mod his RS-1Bs.

http://www.wisdomaudio.com/

In defense of Dr Marks, he operates out of Clarksville, TN.

And speaking of Dr Marks, do an eBay search on his latest offering; modded Beta's!!! :sigh:
View attachment 529270

Blink your eyes a few times, and hopefully that mental image will go away! :yes:
In his defense what else can you do with a set of betas that are toast. No drivers for those, I'd suppose if you live long enough you could eventually find them all on ebay and be able to afford them...;)
Jim

Back
Top Bottom