Infinity SM or SMS 155 speakers?

John in MA

Respect the gamba tuba
Subscriber
I'm looking at a couple speakers a guy is selling locally. He says they're Infinitys, either SM-155 or SMS-155. Tall cabs, 15" woofer, two mids. Anybody know about these things?

I've never gotten in this stuff, so usually I think Infinity=expensive. But from the photos these are kind of cheesy looking and I'm wondering if they're worth any real money.

The SM line was infinities mass market entry level speaker line.
I've read here mixed reviews on the SM line. Some like them and describe them as a good rock and roll speaker. Not as much detail and clarity as some of there other offerings and tend to have some issues with cabinet coloring the sound from what I've read.

IMO if they are free you might consider them. Otherwise stay away. I have a near mint pair of 122s and can't even get $75 for them. Oh and they don't sound too good either.

cubdog

Thanks, that's about what I was expecting. Not close to free so the seach continues.

My first (non-rack-system) speakers were SM 150+'s; my brother later owned SM 155's, SM 125's & an SM center. So I'm very familiar with the SM lines over the years, although I've not listened to the later ones (the ones where the woofer looks like a whitewall tire:thumbsdn: ).

First off, the SM's are easy to drive and will play very, very loud! But for a big speaker they really aren't that good in the bass region. They will move a lot of air but don't go really deep. For drums and bass they're pretty powerful, but don't expect all that much with recordings of orchestral kettle drums or pipe organ.

Secondly, the SM's are the very definition of "pet coffins." They're large, unbraced and nearly undamped boxes. Very honky with a lot of box coloration. But I really kick myself now that I never tried to mod them. I suspect you could very easily & cheaply reduce box colorations by gluing in some carefully cut dowls and either filling the cabs with some lambs wool/rock wool/ fiberfill. Brian Cheney of VMPS mentioned using dowls to brace cabs, but that didn't occur to me "back in the day." BTW, I've heard of guys doing this to mod similar monkey coffins from Cerwin-Vega. Fwiw I've been told the big CV's can be modded to sound exceptionally good, but I haven't tried them.

As for sound- it could be rose colored glasses, but I feel the earlier versions like I had sounded better and had better bass than the later ones. My brother is very familiar with both and wholeheartedly concurs. The earliest ones may have been tuned lower, but they seemed to have better deep bass. I'll tell you what got my brother off the bubble; I brought a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2's (med sized bookshelf speakers) over and set them up next to his SM 155's. The MA's completely annihilated the big SMs in every catagory, save max volume and bass extension. Granted, they couldn't match the sheer scale of the SM's, but the sound was much cleaner & more detailed. I'm not sure how fair the compro is- the SM's, while more expensive, were older. And a well designed bookshelf will probably sound cleaner than an inexpensive floorstander. Although in all honesty I think my brother paid nearly a thousand dollars on the big SMs.

Would I recommend them? After years of listening to several models in the SM line over a decade and a half, I'd say: maybe. It depends on the price and whether you're inclined to try modding them. My brother ended up selling them to a friend for a pretty decent price, but if you could get them for $200-$250 I'd say they're probably worth it. The Poly-Cell tweeter, though not SotA, isn't bad- reasonably detailed, more polite than harsh. The mids aren't the last word in transparency either, but again if you're willing to take the time and spend just a few bucks to mod the cabs I suspect a lot of that honky box coloration would go away.

Bone-stock I'd say they're pretty decent rock speakers. They'll play hard with little power, plus they'll handle the full output of a pretty big amp with no complaint or power compression. Someday, when I have a bigger house and an adequate shop/project area I'd like to put my money where my mouth is and aquire a pair to experiment with & modify.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to you.:music:

BTW, the problem with resale value is their size- they're very large & heavy, so costly to ship. If you can't get a local sale it's often not worth the effort to sell them.

If I may ask, how much does he want for them? If you're at all interested, I suggest you do some checking on Ebay and see what they've been selling for. That will give you some ammo if you decide to try to deal the guy down.:yes:

I took a pair of SM120s and a pair of 15" subs to an outdoor pool party, and the setup, driven by a Hafler P230 for the SMs and a pair of 240 watt plate amps for the subs, was VERY much more than adequate.

I have to agree with Rob here, I have a set of 122s that I braced up and added some damping material, and they were more than adequate, and they do play LOUD, I rarely use them anymore, but for the right price they sure are worth having around. :thmbsp:

Thanks guys, I ended up passing on the SM's. Good thing since the next day I got the Big Macs.

Divotdog said:
I have to agree with Rob here, I have a set of 122s that I braced up and added some damping material, and they were more than adequate, and they do play LOUD, I rarely use them anymore, but for the right price they sure are worth having around. :thmbsp:

I'd be interested to learn how you braced them & damped them. Windowpane braces, dowls or something else? As I alluded to before, someday I want to get a pair of those gi-normous CV Classic 215s and try to mod them.:yes: I don't expect them to replace my Monitor Audio Gold Refs, but it would be a fun project.

Nice! One caveat I'd interject is that fiberfill, while more expensive than fiberglass, is much safer. Having the 'glass in the box like that is a risk of particals being expelled from the port; fiberglass is very hazardous if breathed in.

You are absolutely correct Rob, I did pull the fiberglass out later and replaced it with fiberfill, you know how it goes, I had fiberglass at the house and I wanted to try it right now! :yes:

BIG, loud, and boomy...

They aren't the worst speakers out there, but they are large. They also are loud. Loud enough that even if you have your volume control zeroed out, you still can hear what's playing, unless you hit the mute button as well. They have fairly deep bass, but it doesn't seem very tight. The old RSa's can do just as well, even though they're rated for a minimum of 45Hz, instead of 29Hz. I am selling my SM155's for $180, obo locally. Have had some nibbles, but no real interest. Am tempted to trade them to a speaker repair shop so I can get one of my RSa's rebuilt. The EMIT tweeter is gone (magnet's broken, as well as the usual failure of the film diaphragm), and the crossover's dead. Works well in the low frequency ranges, but not at all in the high frequencies. Both RSa's will be needing refurbishing externally, since someone painted them black with gloss black paint. Surrounds on the woofers were replaced recently.

-J

the sm line

was made for commercial gain. make em sound like everyone else does and they will sell. nearly any infinities without the sm designation are fairly good or in the excellent category.

Well, mine are gone...

Finally got rid of'em.
kiltedbanana.gif
They weren't bad, but my RSa's sound better and actually sound deeper than the SM155's did. Got $110 for the SM155's. Paid $100 about five years ago, so I can't complain.

-J

Guys, not to rain on the party, but the SM speakers are _not_ and were never meant to be home audiophile speakers... What we've got here is basically a nicely efficient hybrid... home/pro speaks... They _do_ sound better than a lot of "pro" speaks, and while you can't throw a coupla hundred watts at 'em, you can get a party going with a 30 watt receiver...

When you look at them that way, hey... I won't be listening to jazz on 'em, but pop/rock out by the pool? Heck yeah...

Bogie said:
Guys, not to rain on the party, but the SM speakers are _not_ and were never meant to be home audiophile speakers... What we've got here is basically a nicely efficient hybrid... home/pro speaks... They _do_ sound better than a lot of "pro" speaks, and while you can't throw a coupla hundred watts at 'em, you can get a party going with a 30 watt receiver...

When you look at them that way, hey... I won't be listening to jazz on 'em, but pop/rock out by the pool? Heck yeah...
Well put Bogie, IMHO they are a fair set of starter speakers that can be had for a reasonable price, I used mine quite happily for a couple of years.

They _do_ sound better than a lot of "pro" speaks, and while you can't throw a coupla hundred watts at 'em, you can get a party going with a 30 watt receiver...

and that's exactly what the sm 155 are: great party speakers. they will simply sound too loud/big in a living room, too much membrane area, too much air moved.. the undamped cabinets certainly do not help either

in open air, all that is removed, they sound neutral and direct. they dont go quite as loud as PA tops with their horn driven tweeters, but they come close, AND sound better than any PA top at any price point ever will. combine them with a good 18" PA sub, crossover at 100hz and you'll get the best sounding PA system you have ever heard, and at a price that cant be beat

Thought I would dredge up this old thread and give my opinion: I have the SM-155's, and they sound great to my ears, and I have many other pairs of speakers that get much better reviews. They fall in the class of Cerwin Vega AT-15's..and D-9's that seem to get much more admiration. Again, I don't understand the negativity of the SM line, but perhaps thats just my "rock and roll, 70's, and 80's" ears talking!:)

Back
Top Bottom