A pair of unusual Revoxes

steerpike2

Yeterday I bought these two A76 tuners, modified by Studer for broadcast monitor purposes for the South African Broadcasting Corporation.
(They were used for the stations Radio Good Hope, and Radio Algoa)

They have XLR/balanced outputs and the 19-inch mounting, but I'm not sure yet if any RF circuitry is different from the normal A76.

revoxa76rack1-vi.jpg

Some knobs are missing & the tuning is gummed up - pointer struggles to move, but they seem to be in a good condition & look more 'serious' than the standard A76.

Pretty cool. Would they be installed at the transmitting facility? Or maybe away like back at the studio? Assuming the studio is in a different location. Or would they be at some other place? Are they "instrumented" in any way, or are they just to be listened to? Questions ... questions ... :scratch2:

I'm not sure; but they came from a studio clean-out not a transmitter location.

Stangely, the station frequency that it is presumably monitoring is engraved on the front panel as 95.602MHz, which is not - as far as I know - an exact frequency of the normal FM channels.

For some programs, when they relayed to other parts of the country, the transmitters were a thousand or more kilometers away from the studios. That link was by microwave in multiple hops.

These ones have no special outputs (only audio), but I have read of later one (like the Studer A764) that send out signal status data by RS232.

Last edited:
Sweet!!!

The tuners are probably gummed up because they have been set to the same station for 40 years!

These were likely used at the station's studios for off air monitoring or for relaying over the air programming for rebroadcast. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom