Pioneer PL-3F?

Did you ever find anything out about this one?
Thanks,
Dan

There is a little info in the database. Appears made from 1985-89 and Direct Drive and retailed for 300.00. Do you have a picture?

There is a little info in the database. Appears made from 1985-89 and Direct Drive and retailed for 300.00. Do you have a picture?

Thanks for the info. I saw one on CL for sale. It looks pretty nice, but the guy wants too much for it. Here is the pic he posted.

Attachments

• 3k73p13o41fa12814b91eeb5a0f47cbf41dda.jpg
    3k73p13o41fa12814b91eeb5a0f47cbf41dda.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 221
That looks like a nice table. Weird that there is so little info on it but I guess it came out towards the end of the vinyl dominance and the start of the CD rein.

I own one. In combination with an Ortofon 320 cartridge and nude fine line needle it plays very smooth on my SA-8800 and Tannoy speakers.

Technically it seems to share a lot of components with the PL-707 which was introduced in 1982. In 1985 the PL-3F is positioned as PL-707's successor being sold at the same price of $300,-. It was sold untill 1989. The specs are also quite similar. It was Pioneer's TOTL during that 4-year period.

I think the reason for this turntable to be so "unknown" is as Kermit says: It was the end of the vinyl era. And the looks are not as good as the PL-707's. (why did they replace that player with the lovely wood veneer (or vinyl) and alu front). As an owner I can say that the control area at the front of the turntable are a bit plastic compared to the metal (alumimium perhaps?) controls surface on the PL-707.

Nevertheless, I love this turntable: very smooth operation and never failed me so far. And it isn't anywhere near "ugly"... :)

Last edited:
An old publication but I think it is the ideal site.

I just got a Pioneer PL-3F in excellent condition. I'm not a fan of quartz locked direct drive but the nice thing about this turntable is that it doesn't have that gloss or color like others. I like the matte sound better (no color) like the classic Thorens 160,126..., Dual, Elac Miracord, some Garrard etc..

It comes with a Pioneer PC-4MC capsule. I don't like this type of Japanese capsule of the time. I'll probably put a Shure or Philips in it.

I picked up one a few years ago. Nice table. Still have it. Mine had water damage to the bottom edge of the plinth. Used wood glue & clamps. Got it good enough. Electronics are fine. See them posted in Japan on ebay a lot.

3.jpg

An old publication but I think it is the ideal site.

I just got a Pioneer PL-3F in excellent condition. I'm not a fan of quartz locked direct drive but the nice thing about this turntable is that it doesn't have that gloss or color like others. I like the matte sound better (no color) like the classic Thorens 160,126..., Dual, Elac Miracord, some Garrard etc..

It comes with a Pioneer PC-4MC capsule. I don't like this type of Japanese capsule of the time. I'll probably put a Shure or Philips in it.
Have an Audio Technica AT30E moving coil on mine. Sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom