Yamaha CR-2040 Sound Issues

L-11

I just purchased a near new condition Yamaha CR-2040 receiver and seem to be having an issue with the power amp section of the receiver. I cleaned all of the pots with deoxit to fix a scratchy control. Now as I'm sitting hear listening to the beautiful sound this beauty produces, the sound will go from normal to very low, then back to normal. When it is playing normally, it sounds great, but once it goes low, it's also scratchy until it kicks back in to normal volume.
Is it fixable without breaking the bank, or is the circuit work going to be expensive? Does anyone know a good Yamaha technician in the Phoenix area?
I think that it may be a bad cap, just not sure. What a heartbreaker, searched for several years for one in top condition. Any help would be appreciated.

May be a dirty relay.
I have a CR-840 that I recently picked up.
Acted the same way.

Remove, open, clean contacts, replace is one way.
New relay is better.
I do not know what relay it uses.

Avionic may stop by with ideas and more info.

Thanks blhagstrom, I'll try that today.

If you can. Post a photo of the PC side of the relay. See if we can come up with a new replacement just in case. At this point it could still be just about anything.

It seems that the stuff I'm finding here to work on has more of an oxidation issur, where Seattle is more corrosion.

Heat versus humidity I'm guessing.

As avionic said, still just a guess.
Are you skilled enough to check amp adjustments?
Skilled and rigged for repair work?

Those 40 series give me willies due to the NLA IC in the amps.
(This has those right?)

It seems that the stuff I'm finding here to work on has more of an oxidation issur, where Seattle is more corrosion.

Heat versus humidity I'm guessing.

As avionic said, still just a guess.
Are you skilled enough to check amp adjustments?
Skilled and rigged for repair work?

Those 40 series give me willies due to the NLA IC in the amps.
(This has those right?)

No.. The 2040 has discreet power ampliers.The only x40 model thats discreet.

It looks like I will be taking this to The Audio Doctor for diagnostics and complete repairs. I appreciate all of the help on this issue-

Back
Top Bottom