Thursday Tunes

3a7d820dd7a096a282b0f010.L.jpg

Hot House -- CD

Bruce Hornsby

1995 RCA Records

This album is addicting and mesmerizing., October 26, 1999

This album is both addicting and mesmerizing. From the first strains of Spider fingers to the last notes of Cruise control, Bruce Hornsby proves that he is the consumate musician and story teller. He's racked up a bunch of superior musicians and vocalists to work with here. Incuded are Jazz guitarist Pat Metheney, country Banjoist Bela Fleck and the always funky and fabulous diva Chaka Khan. All of them give stellar performances, but none outweigh the arresting presence of Bruce himself. The cd just gets better and better with each track, my favorites are "White wheeled limosine" the story of a jilted bride and "Country doctor" the story of a doctor who's wife dies under mysterious circumstances. The music is jazzy and jammin not the pop piano songs that you might expect. It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote "The way it is". Patty Hayes

All songs written by Bruce Hornsby.

"Spider Fingers"
"White Wheeled Limousine"
"Walk in the Sun"
"The Changes"
"The Tango King"
"Big Rumble"
"Country Doctor"
"The Longest Night"
"Hot House Ball"
"Swing Street"
"Cruise Control"

Various Artists - "In Yo' Face/The History Of Funk" 5CD box set

Disc 5 for now... Charles Brown's "Bustin' Loose" is playing right now'

43969833e7a0db074aee2110.L.jpg

Sunshine On Leith -- CD

The Proclaimers

1988 Chrysalis Records

Sunshine on Leith is The Proclaimers' second and best known album, released in August 1988. The album had three singles, including the title track, "I'm On My Way," and "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," which also became a hit following its inclusion on the soundtrack to Benny & Joon five years later in 1993. It is about their birthplace, Leith, and the title track Sunshine on Leith is played by Hibernian F.C. at the beginning of matches.

All Songs Written By Craig & Charlie Reid, except where noted.

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" – 3:33
"Cap in Hand" – 3:24
"Then I Met You" – 3:50
"My Old Friend the Blues" – 3:06 (Steve Earle)
"Sean" – 3:23
"Sunshine on Leith" – 5:16
"Come on Nature" – 3:34
"I'm on My Way" – 3:45
"What Do You Do?" – 3:38
"It's Saturday Night" – 3:24
"Teardrops" – 2:32
"Oh Jean" – 5:55

Thelonious Monk - Strait no Chaser

w/ Charlie Rouse, Larry Gales, Ben Riley

1999 Sony SACD remaster, Engineer Mark Wilder

Yamaha CD-S2000 > Decware CSP2 > Custom Morrison Micro 2A3 SET > Soliloquy 6.5

Some perfect tunes with a warm cup of coffee on this cool foggy morning...

Hampton Hawes - I'm All Smiles. Also features: Red Mitchell,& Donald Bailey.Contemporary Records Original label....

Art Pepper - Among Friends.Also features: Russ Freeman,Bob Magnusson,& Frank Butler.Interplay Records,1978....

Stopped by Twist & Shout in Denver last night and grabbed a handful of discs.

Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood ~ Juice is on right now.

MI0003777489.jpg

Back
Top Bottom