A960 Main/Direct switch

timothya

It started to bug me that the main/direct switch on my A960II didn't work. This seems to be an issue with this series. Of course, it's no longer available from Yamaha.

Here's how I fixed it in case somebody else wants to try this:

After looking over the service manual, I determined that it is a fairly standard looking 6PDT alternating pushbutton switch, so I did some searching and came up with this:

Digikey P/N CKN9666-ND

I pried the bracket off the old switch and was able to attach it to the new one after grinding a shoulder into the pushbutton end (maybe 1/16"). Also, the old switch has an extra pin at the very rear. You can see this in the second picture. It is not connected to any of the other pins on the switch and is not on the schematic, so I didn't worry about it. It appears to connect to a ground plane, perhaps for shielding, though partial disassembly reveals that it doesn't seem to be very well shielded anyway.

Now, the main/direct function works again, though the new switch is just a bit stiffer, which is fine because the original switches feel a little vague to me.

I hope this helps somebody!

--Tim

Attachments

• A960sw3.jpg
    A960sw3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 57
  • a960sw4.jpg
    a960sw4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 56
  • A960sw1.jpg
    A960sw1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 60
  • A960sw2.jpg
    A960sw2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 60
And mine, I replaced it last winter, after being broken for 20 odd years...
Thanks a lot for the link M8...

Nico.

Back
Top Bottom