Yamaha CA-610/610II/710 questions

201bk

Hi guys. I'm not etirerly satisfied with my latest purchase so I've been thinking about going back to the Yamaha's "Natural Sound" :music: And since everything is so damn expensive in my country I can only afford mid-range amps. I had only A-960II if we're talking about Yamaha only and damn, I liked that amp and I bought it really cheap. I used it for almost 3 years but I was forced to sell it. So I decided to buy another amp Kenwood KA-5700 and like I said I'm not satisfied it just lacks something, it's not bad. But I know it's not it. Pioneer SA-606 by my ear sounds better even if it tends to be a colder sounding amp and that was not what I was expecting from that Kenny.

But lets get to the point. I really really like CA-610II (710) with it's huge meters and VU meters range selection but I've been reading some really disturbing posts about protection circuit that fails and then shortly is running "in the loop" blocking the signal both in CA-610 and 610II (710). What's with that? Is it really that hard to fix and is it cheap to fix it? Is this amp really worth to buy? How's the sound? And yes, I know that this CAs may not have as wide soundstage as A-960II but in my room its may not be a bad thing.

I really, really liked Yamaha A-960II (bass on front, natural sound, sounds always good in everything and it had really good soundstage) and Pioneer SA-606 (quite good punchy bass on front, that one is a fair choice even if it's a colder one, but really expensive in my country). Kenwood doesn't have that kind of bass and it can sound outstanding and then it's like "meh, thats not it" (bass is like really really behind, sometimes is not even there, and amp tries too hard to be warm that in some songs it's just sounds awful to my ears but not in all songs) plus I have some bad room acoustics so I need something with quite a punch. And yes, I've tested Kenwood in better acoustics and still I wasn't feeling that this was it. So guys is that really a good choice for me?

And funny fact, Kenwood is build almost exactly like Pioneer, except that Kenwood have passive preamp. So I was quite shocked how different this amps sound.

Thanks for answers : >.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom