Is such a marriage (old with new) possible?

Palani

Hello,Everyone.First post in here,and no,the title has nothing to do with the recent Hutchison/Stodden break up (who?).

Question. In trying to capture what little of my youth I can,I recently came across a mid '70s Kenwood 9400 and jumped on it.Sounds fabulous and also as powerful as I remember them back then,btw.
Not knowing too much about electricity and such,I acquired and tried mating this 2007 Marantz (VC6001) carousel CD/DVD player I acquired,but its year 2007 back looks nothing like the older Kenwood's. How does one link this,if one can? Are they "compatible" to bring together given the age difference and DVD addition? i.e.,Where do the two cables hailing from the Kenwood's auxilary plug connect to? Also,it has a polarized plug which won't fit into the Kenwood's 'Switched' and 'Unswitched' sockets? Can I file down the polarized pin without incurring any damage anywhere? Can I plug it into a wall socket? Thanks. I hope the pictures materialize,and sorry about such ignorant questions to you seasoned pros:

Attachments

• Back1.jpg
    Back1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 94
  • Back2.jpg
    Back2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 80
It may be possible. I need to see the back of the Marantz unit to be sure.

Connect the Aux L/R on the back of your Kenwood to the Mixed 2ch output jacks on the back of your Marantz CD/DVD combo machine. You should be good to go!

You can file down the power plug on the Marantz so that it will fit into the Kenwood. Most people just leave them as they are and use a multi plug adaptor at the wall socket to connect both units to a power source.

Thanks,Macyjrm.

I'm confused about the multi-plug adapter you mentioned -- do they currently make such a plug that converts a polarized pin plug into a non polarized plug? What would happen if I simply plugged both plugs into the same power strip?

Also,there's a tiny Int/Ext switch(pictured). What might that be for? I'd like to use the remote that came with it if I can,it's not a big deal,though.

Thanks

Leave the plug alone and just plug everything into a power bar. As for the RCAs - mixed 2ch -> aux is what you want.

You can file down the power plug on the Marantz so that it will fit into the Kenwood. Most people just leave them as they are and use a multi plug adaptor at the wall socket to connect both units to a power source.

I can't see how filing the blade on the plug is a good idea just so it will fit in the Kenwood. I don't even use the outlets in back of any of my vintage stuff if the blades do fit. Why put more load on the power supply of a 30+ year old amp? :scratch2:

I finally got around to plugging everything in (I had to run the wires through some very narrow corridors) and everything seems to be working okay with exception of the Marantz remote control to the carousel,but hey,I wasn't expecting a remote,so no big deal.

Thank you all.

Okay,I woke up to a problem today.

I turned my KR 9400 stereo on,only to have it make very loud popping sounds (with the volume set all the way down). It was set on AM at the time. When I last had it on a few days ago,it was making some popping sounds though the AM setting but the sound was coming through.
Right now on the FM setting,its meters seem to be working fine as I tune it but I get no sound...I tried running the CD player I have hooked up to it,but again,no sound.

Before looking for a shop to remedy it,what are some checks I can make on my own to see if it's something small or simple?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Palani... far from a pro here but let me see if I can help you at least do some troubleshooting to see where the problem is.

One of the first things that troubles me is the loud popping noises you were hearing. Before anything I would check your DC offset. Here's the sticky on checking this. What you're checking for is too much DC current being applied to the speakers. This usually sounds like popping noises or smells like burning speakers. Not good! :no:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5634

If this checks out OK I would check all the switches. Many times a "dead" receiver is just a tape monitor switch set to "tape". Not only check the setting of the switch but work all of them around 20 or 30 times. If the switches haven't been cleaned this might work some of the oxidation off.

Other tests to do are to see if you have sound through headphones. This will tell you if the problem could be in your speaker connections.

Another test would be to isolate the problem and see if it lies in the preamp or power amp section. If you have another receiver or a preamp you can bypass the receiver's preamp by plugging into the preamp inputs on the back.

Post back the results and we'll see where we go from here.

I recently scored a KR9600 (big bro to this) and I was very impressed by it. I was really after the speakers but couldn't pass up buying the whole rack when I saw it. All TOTL from the late 70's, one owner, well cared for.

Thanks...

Decatur Greg:

Thank you very much for the response.

Earlier today I flipped it on and it worked for a while after I moved and lifted the heavy Marantz carousel I had placed on top of it -- the item which brought me here to begin with.It worked well for a while with no popping or anything unusual,except the left speaker was not working.Checking its back,one of the speaker lines had simply worked loose,so that was an easy fix.

Well,anyway,I decided to remove the Marantz carousel since its connection seem to have spawned all of the receiver's current problems.The result? The loud popping returned.First,all the lights,meters,and signal would come on,and then it would take a few seconds (a delay it never had) for the sound to come on -- then it would pop.Unlike the first few times when it would just pop,increasing the volume a bit actually brought the audio back,but with equal or LOUDER pops.I thought it would blow up the bookshelf speakers I have hooked up to it.

I did check all the switches so that wasn't it.I will look for headphones today sometime to check that angle.

As far as a 'DC Offset' goes,I'm afraid I'm not much help there.Electricity is my weakest front when it comes to these things.What or where is it?

... Congratulations on the 9600.Sounds like a good score.I was cleaning out some old papers just last week and look what I found.Apparently,I once bought a Kenwood 11 Receiver 27 years ago,and here's the scary part: I don't remember buying it,or worse,what became of it.There was a lot going on in my life at the time,so I can see forgetting some things,but this purchase??? WTF? Lol!

Thank you once again for the response.

Attachments

• Kenwood receipt.jpg
    Kenwood receipt.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 10
That sounds like me... I often do things and forget about doing it later.

I think it may be time for you to consult a tech with this. The popping could indicate something pretty bad. If you're not able to measure the DC offset I would say you probably shouldn't try to tackle this by yourself.

Back
Top Bottom