Kenwood KA-5500 headphone jack replacement?

HyKlas

Finding myself in need of a headphone jack. Anyone know which models share the same part with the KA-5500? Not going to use an aftermarket one, nope, nuh-uh, ain't gonna do it. Thanks all!

I would assume that most of the XX00 series use one similar. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if needed.

The part Echowars posted is Switchcraft- excellent quality (if you didn't already know that).

The Switchcraft piece is superior I'm sure but I'd like to go the factory route on this one. I sold it having not tested the headphone jack (yes, I know) so I'm trying to make it whole again. So far it's the 3500 and 5500, beyond that it seems to be different.

So if I'm restoring a 67 Galaxie I shouldn't replace the broken or corroded bits with original parts? How is this any different?

The original jacks on these have gotten brittle over the years. I find it common to see them with cracks and even in pieces. There's a good chance that any 'original' device you find will be in equally bad condition.

Suppose what it all boils down to is that I don't want threads and a nut sticking out of the face plate (also scratching said face plate when tightening it down). Suppose I could have my buddies at the fab shop make a bracket then weld it on to the front chassis panel but that sounds like a lot of work for something I sold for pennies and am repairing on my dime.

Not that I don't value your opinion, just going through all of that for a headphone jack just isn't in the cards here. The only issue with the current piece is the PCB has popped off the back allowing the contacts to be pushed out when inserting a plug. If it were mine, I'd glue it back on and call it a day.

So if I'm restoring a 67 Galaxie I shouldn't replace the broken or corroded bits with original parts? How is this any different?

It's like grabbing a used starter from the junkyard. It's an unknown quantity. (I do appreciate the personalized analogy :) ) Sorry if my incredulity was a bit over the top.

(BTW, Echowars knows Kenwoods' big-time)

The headphone jack on this unit isn't the standard threaded post with the nut, it has two ears that snap in to the chassis front panel. If it were that simple I'd have bought the switchcraft by now.

And yes, I know that 390 emblem well. I'm a Ford guy.

*edit* I've included a photo.

Attachments

• kenwood.jpg
    kenwood.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You're being obtuse here...each jack comes with a washer and a mounting nut. Slip the washer onto the jack and the jack into the space vacated by the original jack. If you think you need a second washer for the other side of the mounting surface, make one or buy two jacks to get two washers.

Or as my dad would have said, "Get your ass in there and figure out how to make it work!"

Some pictures of its original mount design... I'm not a moron, I make things work 40hrs a week. My post count gives me no forum cred though I suppose.

*edit* Has gone way off topic. I know what I need. Thanks. If I'm ever in the market for a standard jack, I know where to get one.

Attachments

• CAM00356.jpg
    CAM00356.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
  • CAM00358.jpg
    CAM00358.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Didn't call you a moron, FYI. I used obtuse in the "slow to understand", and "rejecting alternatives without cause" meaning.

I've had a 5500 since they were new. Was, in fact, my second audio purchase. I know the hole in the chassis is large, but the washer should bridge that. Otherwise, a piece of sheet metal could be fashioned to bridge the gap.

Bottom line is that original parts like this have been unavailable for decades, and a bit of determination and ingenuity is often required to find alternative solutions. If you have found one, by all means, share with the group.

Back
Top Bottom