Yamaha B2 to B2x

brinsmead

This was posted recently in “Show us your Yamaha”

“At the time of it's introduction in the early '80's the B-2x was Yamaha's TOTL amp, with an msrp of $1500. The B-2 is nicely built but it's not in the same class as the B-2x. The B-2 however does have VFET magic. If I had to choose one I'm not sure which it would be. “

Not in the same class? The B2 Definitely not in RMS

I think its worth considering,

In regard to design premise, now in fact the B2x was released in late 1986 in AU and it was a product design of the 80’s whereby a lot of manufacturing had changed from the B2 which was a 70’s design : but a newer design doesn’t always mean better.

For example:

The finer tracking with their soldering terminations use in the B2x are more likely to turn dry : where as the larger solder mass in the B2 are less likely.

The B2x has a lot of solid wiring coupling stages with many small plug and socket assemblies : the B2 has not these to this degree and the designers went to a greater degree to make the B2 much service friendly with pull handles for example on the drive boards and the use of the larger 70’s style plugs on these boards.

The B2x direct mounting of the outs on the PCB then to heatsink : compared with the B2 with TO3 sockets

These are a few examples of difference

Last edited:
Ah the fallibility of memory. The B-2x is a mid '80's design, not early '80's.

Some interior pics illustrate build quality. The B-2 is certainly not a cheaply built amp.

Attachments

• Yamaha B-2 004.jpg
    Yamaha B-2 004.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Yamaha B-2 005.jpg
    Yamaha B-2 005.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Yamaha B-2 006.jpg
    Yamaha B-2 006.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Yamaha B-2 018.jpg
    Yamaha B-2 018.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 198
Yamaha B-2x nudies:

Attachments

• 116_1668.jpg
    116_1668.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 116_1666.jpg
    116_1666.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 188
Yep good pic’s, Mark

On Design Layout: B2 to B2x

The B2 is a excellent example of form to function
The 70’s did produce some good well designed functional equipment

The B2x has a design style that looks very appealing
But lacking some the niceties in touches of earlier years builds, this
trend in design carries over to the present

The B2 is a excellent example of form to function The 70’s did produce some good well designed functional equipment

The B2x has a design style that looks very appealing
But lacking some the niceties in touches of earlier years builds, this
trend in design carries over to the present

I remember as a young Yamaha and others service tech in the late 70's when the silver faced products began to appear. I could see how the focus was beginning to shift towards optics, high power, and mass production. That's not to say that there weren't some really nice sounding shiny pieces of gear being produced back then. There were, but things like form to function and V-FET's were soon to fade away into obscurity and production costs. Their subtle sonic differences were largely lost until recently with their rediscovery by Nelson Pass and his DIY followers.

... so what was partnered up pre-amp wise with the B-2x?

The tweak up x version of the

attachment.php

:tresbon:

Attachments

• C-2 Pro Ad.01jpg.jpg
    C-2 Pro Ad.01jpg.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 179
I remember as a young Yamaha and others service tech in the late 70's when the silver faced products began to appear. I could see how the focus was beginning to shift towards optics, high power, and mass production. That's not to say that there weren't some really nice sounding shiny pieces of gear being produced back then. There were, but things like form to function and V-FET's were soon to fade away into obscurity and production costs. Their subtle sonic differences were largely lost until recently with their rediscovery by Nelson Pass and his DIY followers.

Yes, being on the front lines of Yamaha , thats the way I saw it too
Yamaha must have had a cash flow issue from info in (one of their service bulletins) they gave a percentage of reduction of steel that was going into their components,and their top general consumer lines were getting less sophisticated .

having heard both a B-2 and a B-2x in my system, I can say they are not even comparable. The B-2x is certainly clean with a quiet background but not anything special to my ears (in my system). The B-2, on the other hand, is very special, very engaging, and is a pleasure to experience. Although it was recently displaced by a great Nakamichi PA-7AII amplifier, the B-2 is one of the finest amps I have heard in my system.

I drove both these Yamaha amps (and also an M-2) with a modified C-2x pre.

having heard both a B-2 and a B-2x in my system, I can say they are not even comparable. The B-2x is certainly clean with a quiet background but not anything special to my ears (in my system). The B-2, on the other hand, is very special, very engaging, and is a pleasure to experience. Although it was recently displaced by a great Nakamichi PA-7AII amplifier, the B-2 is one of the finest amps I have heard in my system.

Stoutblock, I like your boldness, good system you've got

Vintage you're an avid collector of all Yamaha , Have you got a copy of the 1987 "Limited Centennial Edition Yamaha 10000 Series" ?
I could run you off a copy if desired

Brins, Thank you for your generous offer! No I don't have a copy but I'm fine without it ...

The B-2, on the other hand, is very special, very engaging, and is a pleasure to experience. Although it was recently displaced by a great Nakamichi PA-7AII amplifier, the B-2 is one of the finest amps I have heard in my system.

With praise like that I'm thinking your B-2 will eventually find its way back to its rightful place in your beautiful listening room. :thmbsp:

With praise like that I'm thinking your B-2 will eventually find its way back to its rightful place in your beautiful listening room. :thmbsp:

The C-2x, B-2 combination has been rotated with the CA-7A, PA-7AII a few times now. It is really a tough decision to make the call as they both sound great. They each certainly have their own strengths.

Certainly a nice problem to have :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom