Yamaha CR1000

beefsupreme

I recently received this receiver from my uncle for free and it's a beauty. I've been playing it every for the past 6 months pair with an audio technica lp120 and a pair of Polk monitor 10a's.

The amp is in need of some TLC though and I was wondering how hard it would be. The input jacks are all very rough and putting rca cables on them can be a pain. Any suggestions on what to use to clean these?

Also, the bigger issue is that the left channel does not work with phono. It works fine when it's hooked up to an aux cable but not phono. Any ideas on how to correct this? The weird thing is, both channels seem to work on left mono. I'm looking into spraying some deoxit on the controls but i've never cracked one of these open before. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

A 12 point socket just large enough to slide over the RCA jacks. A bag of gun cleaning patches and some Blue Majic polishing compound.Put a little dab of polishing compound on the patch. Place the patch over the jack.Slide the socket down over the patch and jack and twist it around the jack a few times maybe 5 or 6 times around. Remove the soiled patch and grab another clean patch and do the same jack again,it will clean up those RCA´s in no time. Follow up with a q-tip saturated with deox-it to clean up the center pins.

Last edited:
I believe the CR-1000 has some front panel slider controls.I'd suggest faderlube on those.

Don't overlook the coupler switch on the rear panel . Won't fix your phono problem . But is notorious for getting dirty enough to cause channel drop outs.

I'd clean up your RCA's and deoxit your switches and controls. Then re-evaluate the phono section issue, if your still have and issue.

nice! Excellent tip on the gun cleaning patches, haven't seen them since I was in the service though, where does one obtain these?

As far as the faderlube, how exactly should I apply it? Directly into the slider switches? Do I have to open it up to do this?

Lastly, i'm not 100% sure what coupler switches are? What do they do and what do they look like? Sorry, very new to this!

Walmart sporting goods for the patches, Look at the rear panel for the coupler slide switch( there is only one switch back there,situated between the main in and pre out RCA jacks.)Faderlube and deoxit need to be applied to the internal electrical contact points insde the switches and controls. Usually disassembly makes accessing the switches and controls much easier.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2444686&postcount=1

Last edited:
That's a great receiver once you clean it up. I really enjoy mine. I got it a few years ago and waited a year before I finally hooked it up. I aligned it and cleaned the pots and it sounds fine with those JBL 4408 speakers and a Dayton Sub.

20141004_104900_zpsw4edlyu5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom