New toys for my Yamaha MX-2 pwr amp

gkwolfman

USAF 1973-1980
Well, I had my reasons, I got rid of my C-1 and CDX-1110u. I tried to sell my MX-2, but for some reason this amp gets no Respect. So, it is too nice to let loose for nothing.
Well, I was in Austin and went to the Sound Gallery on South Congress, and lo-and-behold. I found this Luxman set up. Pre=C-1010 and Tuner T-110u.

So, I am now a proud owner of some nice Luxman pieces. I used to have the M-02 amp, but, it needed repair and I did not have anything to pair up with it.
So, the Yamaha MX-2 is doing a great job for amping this Luxman.
Now I need to find the user manual for the pre-amp. Anyone have one?

Attachments

• 00 LUXMAN C1010 T110U.jpg
    00 LUXMAN C1010 T110U.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 01 BROCHURE.JPG
    01 BROCHURE.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 03 BACK SIDE OF BOTH.jpg
    03 BACK SIDE OF BOTH.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 04 STACK with Y MX-2.jpg
    04 STACK with Y MX-2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 05 up close and powered.jpg
    05 up close and powered.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 39
  • 06 whole she bang.jpg
    06 whole she bang.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Great find. The tuner is one of the very best sounding ones I have run across.

I have also had a MX-2. You are right, a great amp but it does not bring as much as it deserves so you might as well enjoy it.

I've been running a Luxman TP-114 with my MX-460 for a few weeks now as it's the only pre I have with a remote. I'm definitely pleased with how well Yamaha and Luxman play together.

I kinda want to pick up an MX-2. That's a good amount of power in a small package and you're right, they don't pull the money such a nice amp should.

I've been running a Luxman TP-114 with my MX-460 for a few weeks now as it's the only pre I have with a remote. I'm definitely pleased with how well Yamaha and Luxman play together.

I kinda want to pick up an MX-2. That's a good amount of power in a small package and you're right, they don't pull the money such a nice amp should.

Same here for the "Pleased" with the combo. You won't go wrong with the MX-2 with a nice 150 wpc.

Another interesting point about the MX-2. It is MUCH closer to the MX-1 (which usually does sell for fair amount more ) than you would think from the specs. The large weight difference is in small part due to a bigger power supply and in large part due to an extra steel plate in the bottom of the MX-1.

Another interesting point about the MX-2. It is MUCH closer to the MX-1 (which usually does sell for fair amount more ) than you would think from the specs. The large weight difference is in small part due to a bigger power supply and in large part due to an extra steel plate in the bottom of the MX-1.
The bulk of the weight difference between the MX-1 and the MX-2 is not due to an "extra steel plate" in the base of the MX-1. The MX-2 also has an additional steel plate (same thickness as the steel plate in the MX-1) as part of it's base:

TOP-ART BASE
To support these heavy components and prevent vibration and resonance, Yamaha has a special base inside the chassis. It has a double panel structure, each 1.6mm thick, and the MX-1 adds extra damping material between the two panels. It's all supported by XL-AV (extra large,antiI-vibration) feet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction, your explanation is more detailed than what I had found online when I had my MX-2.

Last edited:
Other than the lower power rating, the MX-2 is definitely NOT a step down from the MX-1. Both amps are exceptionally good.

Back
Top Bottom