No sound from TD-11

highstream

Bad Toslink input [was No sound from TD-11]

I've got a head scratcher getting sound out of my one year old TD-11 in a 2.0 TV system, something I've never had problem with before. I recently switched from powered speakers with their own volume remote to powered speakers without one (Quad 12L). So I'm in the process of changing dacs to one with a remote, but had to return one I was auditioning and want the TD-11 to fill in for a couple of days. The set up is Toslink from TV to dac, then RCA ICs out of the tube output to the speakers. But no sound. I also tried line out and dac out but same result. All connections are good and the input knob is on Opt.

As a check, I'm running it right now with my computer, using USB input and tube outputs into another pair of Quad 12Ls and it's playing fine. So I'm at a loss. Any guesses what I might be missing? Right before switching it back to the TV I ran the dac out of my laptop for 72 hrs straight to burn in a USB cable, but don't see why that would be affecting the TV setup. Thanks,

Last edited:
It sounds like you aren't getting a data stream into the TD-11 from the TV. Do you see two red LEDs lit on the TD-11 when you have Opt selected and the TV on? Try another optical source like a CD player into the TD-11.

Check the settings on the TV, particularly whether audio is going to Opt out or the TV speakers. Good luck. Config issues are fun.

Only one light; same when I try Patriot media box to dac via Toslink. Get two lights via USB to computer. TV set to external speakers. Puzzling.

If you are not getting two red lights on DAC-11 (one for power, one for digital input), you are NOT getting signal into the DAC-11 properly.

Did you try the optical input from your TV/Cable box?

Also cycle through the inputs on DAC-11 by turning the input knob. The print may not perfectly aligned so count to the right number of input to make sure you are actually selected 'opt' for your source.

Hope this helps.

If you are not getting two red lights on DAC-11 (one for power, one for digital input), you are NOT getting signal into the DAC-11 properly.

Did you try the optical input from your TV/Cable box?

Also cycle through the inputs on DAC-11 by turning the input knob. The print may not perfectly aligned so count to the right number of input to make sure you are actually selected 'opt' for your source.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I had already tried all input positions on the knob a few times and just tried the cable box's optical port, but still only one light (and no sound).

To be clear, until early June I used the TD-11 as a TV dac for a year on the optical input, and before replugging it in yesterday had minutes before disconnected another dac that was using optical input from the TV. The only rare no-sound issue I ever had with the TD-11 came from the RCAs apparently being in "wrong" output, line instead of tube, as I recall (big qualification). Although looking at the hook up diagram, I was never clear why.

I double-checked my own TD-11 with a CD player in the Optical input. When the CD player is turned on, (it doesn't have to be playing anything), the red "Digital" light on the TD-11 front panel comes on. There's a small chance that your TD-11 has a problem on its optical input but you can easily check that by using a known good optical source like a CD player. If the "Digital" light comes on, the TD-11 is fine.

I'll bet you an ice cream that you are not getting an optical digital signal into the TD-11 for some reason. Check that the optical cable is good and completely plugged in on both ends. Better yet, see if you can see red light coming from the end of the optical cable when the TV is on. If not, back up to the output from the TV and see if there's red light there. (Caution - DO NOT look directly into the laser light. But you knew that.) No red light = No optical data and you need to figure that out on the TV end.

Dead on - no light. Thanks. And I had everything turned off when I made the dac switch (but didn't have the TV unplugged). Bad run recently: this morning my computer dac and USB cable stopped working (yes both, did multiple tests), and in May the TV's power board had to be replaced.

2 meter Toslink cable, so not likely it had the bends. When a PS Audio dac arrived, I moved the TD-11 up to my computer and so haven't checked it on the TV lately. However, a day or two after starting this thread, I noticed the TV's optical port was once again lit and, sure enough, working. Back from the dead.

Toslink input gone bad

The TV was fine, it was the TD-11 Toslink port. Working on trying to figure out why.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom