2nd SoCal LA/OC/IE/SD AudioKarma Meet, Sat. August 27, 2011

mech986

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
2nd SoCal LA-OC-IE-SD AudioKarma Meet, Sat. August 27, 2011

Ok guys and gals, I was gonna save this for my 3000th post but can't wait. I've been thinking about this for a long time ever since our last get together in Buena Park in 2007 put together by CDFixer and LBPete. And 4 years is long enough! I'm posting this 3 months in advance to get your interest and support.

So here's the details so far. I've got August 27th lined up and the tentative time is from 7am to 9pm (for all you guys who like to come early or stay late!). The Venue is my home church, Cerritos Baptist Church in Cerritos, California near the 605 and 91 freeways. I've got the entire sanctuary and Christian Education 2nd floor reserved if we need all that. In addition, we can use the outside walkways, lawn, and there's a parking lot for about 50 cars and street parking also.

There's plenty of nearby food and lodging for those coming in the night before or staying overnight. LAX, Long Beach, or John Wayne / Orange County airports are available for anyone flying in :D.

This is what I'm needing and envisioning. Nothing is set in stone yet but here's some details I've been thinking about:

A) Figure that there will be costs so it's not quite a free event. I figure donation of about $200 to the church for use of facilities (building, power, water, tables, chairs, and PA system (I run it so no worries there)). So there will be a participation or sign up fee plus whatever you'd like to donate. AK members invited, may bring guests of course but be sure they are reliable and friendly.

B) Also, proceeds from specific events or refreshments will go either to AK or charity, to be determined.

1) I would like to get volunteers as a steering and planning committe. Figure 4 to 6 more folks plus me. We can then start some serious planning and details.

1a) I would like to have volunteers to help with specific tasks like security, refreshments, setup, breakdown, etc. The more people help, the more we have fun.

2) I plan to have room for folks to set up systems and show gear - figuring about a 10 x 12 space. Have plenty of power available. We have lots of folding tables and portable chairs but if you can bring your own, that would help.

2A) Want to have rotations of when folks can play their gear so everyone gets a chance. Will have enough chairs to set up near your spot for listening. Also have a small stage area for really BIG setups!

3) Figure to have a gear sale, swap, barter area, with security. Methods to be determined.

3A) May also have a seperate gear display area if desired.

4) Would like to have donations for silent auction type stuff, audio or not. Maybe run in 3 hour shifts so that people who need to leave early can have a fighting chance. Lots of donations mean lots of fun!

5) Same request for donations for something like hourly door prizes. Everyone should have some fun!

6) Would love to hear ideas about maybe BBQ or refreshments unless people want to do runs to local outside food.

7) got to be missing a lot more so get your thinking caps on and chime in!

There is the possibility of also having a run to the Manley Labs factory in Chino if people are interested, same day or maybe next day. Still to be arranged but have been told they could accomodate.

I may be nominating SoCal Sam, Elgato, Toddalin, and others but let's see how much interest this generates.

Work through this thread for now, but PM's ok too.

Regards,

Bart

There will be a lot of shameless Thread bumping till it gains some traction.

Last edited:
You know I'm in Bartster! I don't know what my schedule will be like on that weekend because I think my daughter will be in from out of town during that time... But either way I will be there for at least part of the time and I'll help out with what I can.:thmbsp:

You're right about this idea... LONG overdue! Thanks for taking the time to make it happen!:smoke:

Looking for ways to provide some acoustical separation between areas if possible. Whole sanctuary is carpeted and has high A-Frame wood ceiling so acoustics are somewhat dead. The portable chairs are upholstered so they will add some deadening too.

Last edited:
You know I'm in Bartster! I don't know what my schedule will be like on that weekend because I think my daughter will be in from out of town during that time... But either way I will be there for at least part of the time and I'll help out with what I can.:thmbsp:

You're right about this idea... LONG overdue! Thanks for taking the time to make it happen!:smoke:

Great! Still have that Sansui receiver waiting for you too!

I should be able to make it. I really don't have a system I want to demo, but can help you out with some equipment if you need.

I would think that if you have a swap meet, sellers could pay $5 for space and that would go toward your minimum.

Hey, how about a couple of refoaming or cabinet refinishing sessions while you watch type seminars? Could rig up a camera and we have 3 projector screens we could run this into. Maybe even do some video for a YouTube archive?

Want to get a turn out to rival some of those Tonbridge Audio Jumble types (although this is more social rather than just Vintage gear sales, although I'm confident there may be a lot of that).

I just don't want this to turn into a sales event with a lot of outside people who are not into AK or what it stands for.

Would also love to have great techs and shops who are interested (like Fred and Dylan from Classic Audio in San Diego). Would not charge additional since you're AK members.

3000th post, Woo Hoo!

Last edited:
I should be able to make it. I really don't have a system I want to demo, but can help you out with some equipment if you need.

I would think that if you have a swap meet, sellers could pay $5 for space and that would go toward your minimum.

Great Todd. Haven't worked out all the cost details, I'm sure something appropriate and equitable can be worked out.

Cool, I'll be there. It'll be nice to finally meet some of you good folk. I'll follow the thread and help where i can. Fairly extensive contruction experience here. Thanks for taking the lead on this. Bob

Last edited:
Bart, I can't see that far ahead but I'm in.:D If I can't make it, I'll still be happy to support the event with some coin.

I'm In! Sounds like big fun. Let me know what needs to get done. I can give some feedback on what worked and what didn't for the last one. We did have a real good turnout. Drew folks from San Diego to Santa Barbara.

You have already cleared the first hurdle if you have a place lined up to hold it.

- Pete

What a cool event you are planning. I would love to attend and would help out if I can, Greg can keep me posted. Chance to meet and greet, always welcome.

I can help.....
My Father-in-law has a bakery (sweets...no breads). So I can supply the Cake or other suggested sweets. I would suggest we get Coffee too. Certain the church has those big brewers?
I'm in HB.

I can help.....
My Father-in-law has a bakery (sweets...no breads). So I can supply the Cake or other suggested sweets. I would suggest we get Coffee too. Certain the church has those big brewers?
I'm in HB.

Thanks so much for the generous offer of the baked goods. I'm sure that will be a big hit.

Yes, we've got at least two large coffee pots, probably 50 cup size. Coffee was definitely on the agenda as well as others.

I'm in! Since I've been an AK'r I've been wondering when So Cal was going to have an event. I've never been but that would have been the weekend for the OC Record Show too, but they're skipping august. I'm still pretty gimpy, but will help out however I can. I work in BP and live in FV so I'm close.

Back
Top Bottom