Kenwood KA-7300 Questions?

wavewarrior

Just picked up a KA-7300 and I'm very impressed with it. Everything seems to be working fine, with the exception of some mild scratching on volume and tone knobs. Besides that it sounds awesome.

I have a small home recording studio and have been using some Tannoy 501A self powered monitors. They are ok for mixing, but due to their size they don't reproduce bass very well.

A friend and I built our own passive design speaker monitors, so I was looking for an amp for them. I tried our speakers with a KA-3500 I've had for years and was happy with the sound, so I decided to pick up a KA-7300.

The KA-7300 has made the monitors sound magical. I can hear sounds in older mixes that I have never heard before. I guess I should have this Kenny checked by an experienced tech, but I've gotta say this amp is amazing sounding now.

It's a little dusty, but would like some suggestions on how to go about cleaning it up inside?

Also, I'm sending mixer's outputs into the KA-7300's Aux input, but noticed that the amp has "Power Input's" just under the "Preamp Out's". I'm wondering if I might get more accurate tonal qualities for recording/mixing if I plug directly into the amp's "Power Input" section. Thoughts?

Here's a few pictures of my amp and studio rig.
Thanks for your suggestions! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• 1 My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    1 My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2 My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    2 My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 2a My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    2a My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 3 My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    3 My Kenwood KA 7300 Beast Amp.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 46
My recording studio set-up and new monitors.
Thanks again! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• My Studio Allwood 1.jpg
    My Studio Allwood 1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36
  • My Studio Allwood 2.jpg
    My Studio Allwood 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 35
If you send your mix into the power amp input, you'll lose all preamp functions (volume, tone, filters). The 7300 has a rather nice preamp, and I'd think you'd lose very little by using the Aux input. That, and it's easier to control the amp output if you use the Aux.

I found one years ago in a old barn. Dirty as all get out, cord chewed off. Cleaned it up mouse droppings and all replaced the cord. WORKED!

The good friend who had to have it still is enjoying it last I heard.

Sounded very nice and had the looks too!

BTW welcome to AK!

Barney

If you send your mix into the power amp input, you'll lose all preamp functions (volume, tone, filters). The 7300 has a rather nice preamp, and I'd think you'd lose very little by using the Aux input. That, and it's easier to control the amp output if you use the Aux.

Thanks for the input, I've read many of your posts and you seem to know these amps very well.

I do really like the way the amp sounds in its current configuration in my studio, very rich and open. The only reason I ask about bypassing the preamp and going directly into the output section is transparency. How transparent is the actual output section of this amp?

Like I've said, I love the way it sounds, but just worried that the preamp tone controls might "color" my mixes in a way that other "lesser" quality amps might not be able to recreate. Make sence? :smoke:

Last edited:
I found one years ago in a old barn. Dirty as all get out, cord chewed off. Cleaned it up mouse droppings and all replaced the cord. WORKED!

The good friend who had to have it still is enjoying it last I heard.

Sounded very nice and had the looks too!

BTW welcome to AK!

Barney

Thanks, this is a great forum.

I wish I would have found my 7300, but I just got it off ebay for less than two bills, so I can't complain really. It sounds more "open" than a few so called studio "reference" amps.

I feel very lucky to own this Kenny.

Jeff

Purchased a KA-7300 about 8 months ago for the bedroom setup, I agree it's a very nice amp, drives my Infinity speakers with no problem.

Martin

Purchased a KA-7300 about 8 months ago for the bedroom setup, I agree it's a very nice amp, drives my Infinity speakers with no problem.

Martin

Yep, I'm loving this KA-7300, can't wait to have it checked out and set-up by a pro tech. :thmbsp:

This old Kenwood bug has bit me hard now, I'm getting in an KA-8100 next week. Totally dig those dual power supply and transformer rigs. :banana:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 17
Recently changed out my Dynacos bi-amping my Heresys with a pair of Kenwood KA-4006 amps. I also really like the Kenwood sound, but the gains from the swap came with a few caveats as well. Will be posting a new thread detailing the differences with pics included.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom