Volume Pot on 700c

Stewie

Hello all,

Haven't posted in a while, but recently put my 700c (Echowars upgraded) back in the game and the volume pot needs some deoxit. Unlike the 500 and 600, the 700c pot seems to be completely closed. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Thanks.

Stewie

Thanks--I'd had the drilling option in my mind, but hadn't remembered where it came from: probably from that very link. Anyway, it may come to that, and yes, I shall proceed with caution if it does.

Kenwood used several different volume pots in the 700C, but I've yet to see one that facilitated easy cleaning. In most cases, simply using the preamp normally will eventually clean up the contacts. I'd not be drilling into anything...I'd look into disassembly long before I tried that (if I ever got so desperate, which is doubtful).

70's Japanese gear: The more you use them, the happier they are.

blasphemy

Okay, it's never a good idea to avoid Glenn's advice, but I was desperate. The pot wasn't getting better, despite exercising it at length, so I took the plunge, and very, very carefully drilled two very tiny holes in the housing of the pot. I situated the pre so that what little dust there was would fall out of the hole rather than into the pot once the bit eased through.

First surprise, the housing on the pot seems to have been made of wood. Is that common Glenn?

Anyway, applied Deoxit, worked the switch, more Deoxit, more working of the switch, and voila: pot is working good as new. Two dots of tape over the holes. The pre's been singing w/o the smallest scratch for two weeks now. And by the way: Echowars treated 700c is still the best pre I've ever had in my system, hands down.

Phenolic...basically a thermoplastic.
a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.
Glad it worked out for you.

Anyway, applied Deoxit, worked the switch, more Deoxit, more working of the switch, and voila: pot is working good as new. Two dots of tape over the holes. The pre's been singing w/o the smallest scratch for two weeks now. And by the way: Echowars treated 700c is still the best pre I've ever had in my system, hands down.

That is good to hear as EW has my 700C right now.. Lots to look forward to!

Back
Top Bottom