Yammie A1020 & T1020

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
I acquired these two pieces about a month ago. I have to say I am quite impressed! While I am not a big FM fan, I am becoming one now. With this gear FM does not sound thin or strained, actually has depth and solid punch to it
1, The int. amp is about as good as anyone would want in its 120 watt range. The class A, be it only 5 watts, come through very nice and gives my music a very nice rounded sound. The tone controls, if even used, are tailored very nice and work very well.

I actually had the A1000 little brother to the 1020 and liked it well enough, but for some stupid reason thought I had to sell it. No sooner than a week after I sold it did I not regret doing it! Fortunately about a month after my lose the 1020 and matching tuner popped up, dumb good luck for me this time.

I like the few extra features of the 1020, extra speaker set, the EQ loop, etc all adds to make still a great amp. The fact that such an excellent tuner was made to go with it is icing on the cake too. I think I have learned my lesson and hopefully will be keeping this set around for a while!

I am using the set with a set of custom built Morel 3 way speakers- it sound glorious, even better than my BGW 600 amp and HK AP2500 preamp system befor it.

If you get a chance to get this gear go for it!
DC

Two classic pieces from Yamaha's line up from 1985/86!!

I've been looking to add both the A-1020/T-1020 to my Yamaha collection, along with their M-85/C-85/T-85 from the same time period. I first demo these units while being stationed overseas in South Korea.

Enjoy!!

I bought the A1020 new in 1987 and loved the sound and features a lot.
Unfortunately it had to leave after 15 years while it wasn't able to drive my new speakers (Infinity).

Two classic pieces from Yamaha's line up from 1985/86!!

I've been looking to add both the A-1020/T-1020 to my Yamaha collection, along with their M-85/C-85/T-85 from the same time period. I first demo these units while being stationed overseas in South Korea.

Enjoy!!

These are two of the best sounding Yammie pieces I have come across in a while, thw class A really makes moderate listening a pure pleasure. I too have had the '85 series, the tuner was pretty damn goon as was the preamp, could not warm up to the M-85 amp however, it seemed brittle with little warmth. PLENTY of power, but was not the amp I was wanting. I should never had sold my B2, the darkest day of my life and the brokest....
DC

I bought the A1020 new in 1987 and loved the sound and features a lot.
Unfortunately it had to leave after 15 years while it wasn't able to drive my new speakers (Infinity).

You have a point- it does not like to push high power for long periods into fickle or low ohm loads! I run a solid 4 ohm load at 90 db efficienc and mine can sustain that into pretty high dynamic levels. As a matter of faxt I pulled a big BGW 600 off my my speakers and dropped the A1020 in its place, now much better sounding, Class A in tone bypassed never sounded soooo good. I could see where a set of complex loads could make you hope for more.
DC

A-1020/T-1020 combo are currently providing good synergy for my JBL Sovereign S8Rs

OH MY that has to be just real nice!! That combo sound good on a variety of good speaker systems, the class A is a wonderful touch, plus the amp is very clean,
DC

^^^^^^
The speakers are sounding better and better:)
I do have a problem with left channel distortion that has something to do with the Direct Source button as the sound cleans up after changing DS mode.

I had a small problem with my older A 1000 simliar to yours, sprayed DeOxit in the balance pot, and all the others, things cleared up nicely!
DC

I had a small problem with my older A 1000 simliar to yours, sprayed DeOxit in the balance pot, and all the others, things cleared up nicely!
DC

Your old A-1000/T-1000 is playing my vintage Klipsch Cornwalls Great :music: the balance pot is still working fine. Thanks for the Deal D.C. :thmbsp: I love the warm tube like tone on Direct mode. I sure liked the looks of your T-1020 better then the older T-1000. Your DIY Morel speakers sounded great on the Yammie. I have two A-1000 now so I have one for my Heresy II in the bedroom.
Louis (L.A.)

Your old A-1000/T-1000 is playing my vintage Klipsch Cornwalls Great :music: the balance pot is still working fine. Thanks for the Deal D.C. :thmbsp: I love the warm tube like tone on Direct mode. I sure liked the looks of your T-1020 better then the older T-1000. Your DIY Morel speakers sounded great on the Yammie. I have two A-1000 now so I have one for my Heresy II in the bedroom.
Louis (L.A.)

Ya, I rera;ized my mistake not long after selling it to you- I got real lucky and found the 1020 model & matching tuner a few weeks later. Am again very pleased with that set up as well. The class A direct is an excellent bonus feature of these two older amps, very smooth and detail, perhaps not a lot of power (5 watts) but enough with speakers like Cornwalls and the like

Will be keeping mine a good while- lesson learned!
DC

Back
Top Bottom