mating a Yamaha NS-70T speakers to a McIntosh 2505(long)

frankford

I'll try and make this as short as possible,

I started dating a girl that had just gone thru a nasty breakup / he passed 6 months later. She always talked about how good his system was. What is a audio nut suppose to do? I took an old Turntable along with a cheaper phono stage and an old receiver I had. Anywho I set it up and it caught her attention.

I later took over my over kill hagerman coronet and hagerman clarinet along with a dynaco st70 tweaked so bad that it really isn't a st70 anymore. After that I took over my yamaha PF-800 and a denon DL-300. I still had a pair of cheap speakers in place.

She mentioned how good it is starting to sound, I told her she needed better speakers. She gave me a budget. While I was doing research, I kept messing with a pair of NS-5 thats I had bought a few years ago but the woofers were stiff. I messed with them enough to get them working. I put them in place and now the separation and depth were starting to come in. However I still wasn't happy with the step up trannys for the mc cart. I found of pair of Shure for 50 bucks on ebay. When they arrived I set a box up with those installed.

She is now wanting to buy some of of the items she has been listening to. The problem was finding a good amp that didn't have tubes and a good set of speakers that I didn't have to build. For the last 15 years I kept coming across yamaha ns-1000's but I couldn't get past the cheesy 80's crome around the woofers. I always passed on them thinking they sucked. any who I found a pair on ebay that seemed to fit the bill. When they arrived, son of a bi, the woofers were stiff. This was driving me nuts, I told her I would find another pair to hold her over until I could fix the NS-1000.

I got on Ebay and found a pair of NS-70t for 250.00 in our backyard. No shipping. Took them over and hooked them up. What the HELL, these things are making beautiful music. She asked me how much I bought them for? Guess? 1500? nope. Anywho She had mentioned that she really liked these speakers and I could have the NS-1000's. Now feeling guilty I asked her if I could trade her a McIntosh? I put the MCIntosh in line of the st-70. Holly crap again. I can't imagine what the NS-1000's will sound like when I am done. The Yamaha NS-70t for that price really shocked me.

Anywho she doesn't talk about her ex's old system anymore, I just wish she would let me move the dining table and put up some sound damping material. She still has no idea how good it could be sounding. Anywho congrats to Yamaha and McIntosh for having quality at a lower level.

Forgot to add, The Mc Intosh adds more bass to the lower ends, The specs of the NS-70t highs don't go as high so it kind of complements the mc intosh. The denon DL-300 is the first time I really listened to a MC cart. This was a shocker as well. The best I had in my system before was a Garrett Medium level MM.

No surprise here! NS-70t's are very impressive speakers. You don't hear much about them either. I have done direct A-B comparisons between those and NS500M's and they are close; different enough to know they are not the same but:dunno: I'm keeping mine that's for sure:music:

Back
Top Bottom